The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday said it has charged a gynecologist at National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUH) for allegedly sexually assaulting three women, after the Control Yuan conducted its own probe of the case last year.
The doctor, surnamed Cheng (鄭), is a specialist at the NTUH Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the indictment said.
Cheng was indicted on two counts of aggravated attempt to commit sexual assault and one count of aggravated obscenity against a victim’s will under the Criminal Code after examining testimony and evidence presented by the three victims, the office said.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
After the alleged incidents in 2020, 2021 and 2022, the women filed complaints requesting that the school and hospital suspend Cheng from teaching and medical practice, and pursue other punishment.
After neither National Taiwan University nor NTUH conducted an internal probe, the women went to Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Fan Yun (范雲), who convened a news conference in March last year to publicize the allegations.
The publicity led to a Control Yuan probe into the case.
Fan and the women alleged that no action was taken, as Cheng is a leading figure in obstetrics and gynecology.
The three women worked in sales for pharmaceutical firms and had business interactions with Cheng, they said.
They alleged that he invited them for dinner, and spiked their drinks with a date rape drug.
One woman said she woke up in a medical lab at NTUH with some of her clothing removed.
Another victim said she met with Cheng for dinner at a beer hall to try to make a sale, then fell asleep after drinking wine brought by Cheng and later woke up inside a motel room naked.
The other woman told investigators that Cheng took her to dinner to continue talking business, during which they consumed alcohol.
She said the doctor groped her and committed acts of obscenity while at the restaurant.
When investigating judicial complaints, Taipei prosecutors coordinated police units to search Cheng’s residence and his office in April, seizing computers and telecommunication records.
After questioning, Cheng was released on bail of NT$400,000.
There was at least one other victim, who said she was groped and her clothing was removed by Cheng in 2021, but prosecutors rejected her complaint for lack of evidence.
All the women said they fell asleep after drinking beverages.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy