After years of delay, the Grand Egyptian Museum in Cairo was unveiled in a limited soft opening on Wednesday last week, finally giving people a peek at the design concept of Taiwanese-American architect Peng Shih-fu (彭士佛) and his wife, Roisin Heneghan.
Initially scheduled to be completed by 2013, what is expected to be the world’s largest archeology museum faced countless delays, primarily due to environmental, financial and political hurdles.
The design that allows visitors to experience ancient Egyptian values was conceived more than 20 years ago.
Photo: CNA
The design was finalized in 2003, when plans from Irish firm Heneghan Peng Architects was chosen out of 1,557 submissions from 82 nations in what was documented as the second-largest architectural competition in modern history.
The Irish company was founded by Peng, a Taiwanese immigrant to the US, and his wife, Heneghan, from Ireland.
Based on the architecture firm’s design, the museum sits squarely between the Giza Plateau and the Nile Valley Plain in what Peng said was an intentional choice he made in reflection of ancient Egypt’s concept of life and death.
Photo: CNA
According to the architect, only his firm among the 1,557 entrants in the competition, which was launched in January 2002, proposed to build the museum between the plateau and the plain to embrace the beauty of life and death, as well as the unique geography of the locations.
The other competitors recommended that it be erected either on the plateau or on the plain, he said.
“Architecture needs to respect the environment,” Peng said in an interview. “The design concept is presented in two parts through the main construction of the architecture and its surrounding landscape. The main body of the museum reflects the past, while the outdoor scenic area presents the rich lives of modern-day humans.”
“The entire compound blends together the interior and exterior; the past and the present; death and life,” he added.
While designing the museum, he did a lot of research on ancient Egypt, its culture, and the relationship between its heritage architectures and the civilization’s geography, Peng said.
“It is because of this geographical location that Egypt was able to embark on a 5,000-year journey through history,” he said.
Ancient Egyptians saw the sun rising in the east as a metaphor for birth and the sunset in the west as a symbol of death, which is why ancient temples were historically built on the eastern bank of the Nile, while the monuments for deceased pharaohs were traditionally erected on the western bank.
In honor of the cultural concept, Peng and his firm have visitors enter the museum from the proximity of the Nile Valley Plain and gradually move in a westward direction toward the Giza Plateau.
Moving from the fertile east to the royal tombs of the west, visitors will experience the crossroads that is life and death, Peng said, adding that a design that can showcase geographical uniqueness and local history is pivotal to a museum.
In the soft opening, up to 4,000 pre-registered visitors a day are given private tours of the museum’s commercial area, exterior gardens, Grand Hall, Grand Staircase and main galleries.
The flagship exhibit, the Tutankhamun Galleries, as well as its Children’s Museum and Khufu’s Boat Museum, remain closed to the public.
Once the museum officially opens, which could happen before the end of this year, more than 100,000 artifacts from ancient Egyptian dynasties are to be displayed over the museum’s 81,011m2 of floor space.
The most popular gallery is likely be the complete King Tut collection that consists of about 5,000 pieces, many of which are to be revealed to the world for the first time since the first items were unearthed in 1922.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as