Top judiciary officials on Thursday lauded the diligence of assistant detective Lin Sheng-chan (林聖展), Yilan County head prosecutor Chou Yi-chun (周懿君) and other rank-and-file officers on their successful investigation into a Chinese spying case that saw eight military personnel indicted earlier this week.
Prosecutor-General Hsing Tai-chao (邢泰釗) convened a review meeting in Yilan County after the indictment, praising prosecutors and investigators who worked on the case and handing out boxes of fruit as rewards.
“It is every citizen’s responsibility to protect our national security,” he said. “This is the first time such a case has been cracked by a rank-and-file police investigator. It should be a model lesson for all judiciary officers.”
Photo courtesy of the High Prosecutors’ Office
Hsing singled out Lin for his work and initiative during the investigation, and his father, Lin Chih-hsien (林志賢), a police detective at the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB), and other prosecutors for contributing to the investigation.
Hsing at the Yilan District Prosecutors’ Office thanked local prosecutors and police for setting up a “national security investigation team” and working many hours on the case.
Hsing said the team coordinated by Lin Sheng-chan applied for warrants to carry out six searches in eight months.
Lin Sheng-chan’s father also provided assistance, passing on investigation experience to the team.
Prosecutors on Wednesday charged eight current and former military personnel and two civilians, including Lee Huei-hsin (李慧馨), aged 31, deputy chapter head of the Sun Alliance (太陽聯盟) and chairwoman of Taoist Rueiyao Temple in New Taipei City, for allegedly developing a spy network for China in contravention of the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Classified National Security Information Protection Act (國家機密保護法).
Lin Sheng-chan, assistant detective at Yilan’s Luodong Police Precinct, together with a CIB probe into vote-buying allegations in Yilan last year, came across conversations by a person who said they knew of someone offering “military secrets” for sale
Lin Sheng-chan reported this to prosecutors and was requested to initiate a separate investigation.
At about that time, the Ministry of National Defense’s Political Warfare Bureau also received tip-offs from some officers, resulting in the Military Police Command starting its own investigation.
Later, the national security case was passed on to the High Prosecutors’ Office to track down the people allegedly engaged in spying.
“While examining a vote-buying suspect’s mobile phone, I came across a conversation with a military officer who alleged that someone was offering classified materials for sale. Right away I reported this to prosecutor Tseng Shan-lin (曾尚琳), who convened a meeting with our precinct and the CIB to set up a team working on the investigation,” Lin Sheng-chan said.
“We also have to thank my father, who I asked to assist on the case as a CIB detective. He is close to retirement, but was still willing to ask his superiors to join the investigation team,” he said.
Wang Sheng-hui (王盛輝), representing the High Prosecutors’ Office for the investigation team, said the case showed that local prosecutors’ offices have the competency to take on national security cases.
Yilan head prosecutor Chou said the “Sun Alliance” is a local Taiwanese gang linked to financials flows abroad.
The case is indicative of a change from past practices of infiltration and espionage in which Chinese intelligence officers would target businesspeople working in China, or people with pro-China political leanings, Chou said.
“Now we see China is infiltrating Taiwan’s religious temples and local gangsters to conduct espionage,” he said.
“Through temples and local gangs, Chinese intelligence officers could reach military personnel circles and those with financial difficulties, thereby being able to penetrate the nation’s rank-and-file military units,” Chou said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as