Projects to improve local transportation infrastructure and pedestrian safety would be stalled if the central government budget for the next fiscal year does not pass, Minister of Transportation and Communications Chen Shih-kai (陳世凱) said yesterday in an interview with the Liberty Times (sister paper of the Taipei Times).
The central government’s overall budget plan has been stalled by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Taiwan People’s Party (TPP), which are demanding that budget increases passed by the legislature earlier this year on logging compensation and agricultural pricing be incorporated into the budget.
If the budget does not pass, about one-third of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications’ (MOTC) NT$150 billion (US$4.68 billion) budget would be inaccessible, Chen said.
Photo: Wu Liang-yi, Taipei Times
“This would have a large impact on the public, as public transportation services such as local and interregional buses that rely on MOTC subsidies might not be able to run,” he said.
Many public representatives are concerned about ongoing local infrastructure projects, such as highway and provincial road maintenance, local subway systems and improving Taiwan Railway Corp (TRC), which all require MOTC funding and would be stalled if the budget does not pass, Chen said.
Chen discussed the ministry’s plan to repair and improve the TRC’s North Link Line that runs between Hualien and Yilan counties, which has suffered repeated damage from landslides and heavy rains following a large earthquake on April 3.
Reconstruction of Siaocingshui Bridge (小清水溪橋) is expected to be completed by the end of the year, allowing two-way rail traffic through the area, Chen said.
While this would improve rail operations, it is not a long-term solution, as the area is prone to landslides, he said.
The ministry is considering constructing an elevated railway between Chongde (崇德) and Heren (和仁) stations, which would allow landslides to flow underneath the tracks, Chen said.
In areas where elevated lines are not possible, a tunnel could be built to enclose the tracks to improve safety, he said.
The ministry’s plan to protect pedestrian rights and improve pedestrian safety, which includes improvements to 799 dangerous intersections across Taiwan, would also be stalled if the budget does not pass, Chen said, adding that this is a key topic of concern for the public.
This plan has a budget of NT$40 billion over four years, requiring annual allocations to local governments to improve intersections in their areas.
About 60 accident-prone intersections in Taichung, Chen’s hometown, are scheduled for improvement, he said.
“We have mapped out the project and plan to improve all 799 high-risk intersections by the end of the year,” Chen added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as