Prosecutors yesterday questioned Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) and former Taipei deputy mayor Pong Cheng-sheng (彭振聲), while members of the other two main political parties called on Ko, a former Taipei mayor, to come clean about the ongoing corruption probe.
Ko was taken by bailiffs to the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office, where he was questioned for two-and-a-half hours in the morning, returning at about noon to the Taipei Detention Center in New Taipei City, where he has been held in pretrial detention since Sept. 5.
In the afternoon, prosecutors reportedly asked Pong about his role while working in Ko’s mayoral administration and about details of a Core Pacific City redevelopment project.
Photo: Chen Tsai-ling, Taipei Times
Prosecutors allege that Ko’s administration approved an increase to 840 percent from 560 percent of the floor area ratio of the project, which would have benefitted Core Pacific Group to the tune of tens of billions of New Taiwan dollars.
Democratic Progressive Party Taipei City Councilor Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培) said that Ko and Pong should tell the truth about alleged flows of cash between the former city administration and Core Pacific Group.
Prosecutors have deciphered a list of names and figures on a USB drive seized from Ko during a search of his residence in late August, Chien said, citing unnamed sources.
Entries of “500” and “1500” on the device referred to sums of NT$5 million (US$155,400) and NT$15 million that were allegedly transferred from Core Pacific Group chairman Sheen Ching-jing (沈慶京) to Ko as “political donations” to the TPP, Chien said, adding that the entries were dated soon after Ko’s administration approved the floor area ratio change, as well as an earlier green light in 2022 for construction to start.
“The flow of money has been mapped by prosecutors, which is what Ko and TPP officials were afraid of,” she said. “They can no longer deny their involvement and should give a clear accounting.”
“Where is the money? Is it stashed? What else is hidden from the public” she asked.
Separately, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei City Councilor Yu Shu-hui (游淑慧) called on Ko to cooperate with prosecutors.
“Ko is TPP chairman and a former Taipei mayor, so he has an obligation to explain what took place and a duty to work with prosecutors,” Yu said.
Yesterday was the fifth time that Ko had been questioned since the probe began in the final week of August and the seventh for Pong.
In a previous session two weeks ago, Ko refused to be questioned.
“It is not right for Ko to refuse to cooperate and not provide information,” Yu said.
“If he believes he is innocent, then he could appeal to be released from the pretrial detention, but he did not. Instead, he has resisted and pushed TPP members to claim the probe is political persecution,” Yu added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of