The Supreme Court today rejected an appeal by a taekwondo coach convicted of committing sexual assault and taking indecent pictures of underage girls, upholding the High Court’s decision sentencing him to 26 years in prison.
The taekwondo coach, surnamed Lu (呂), was convicted of sexually assaulting and taking indecent pictures of 11 young female students — with the youngest being seven — in his dojo totaling 109 instances in three years since 2019.
Photo: Taipei Times
Lu at first denied committing any of the acts, alleging that he had been wrongly accused because of business disputes, until investigators recovered deleted photographs.
He later admitted to some of the acts, but said he did not do it “so many times.”
During the first trial earlier this year, the New Taipei District Court said that although he apologized to the victims’ parents, he blamed the victims for their conduct and misbehavior, and stressed that his “punishment” had been meted out with the victims’ consent.
The district court said he did not regret his actions, which seriously impacted the victims’ physical and mental health and personal growth.
He was sentenced to 29 years and six months in his first trial for 109 criminal counts, with each carrying more than three years in prison.
The total prison term of more than 300 years is to be run concurrently.
Lu later filed an appeal with the High Court, admitting his guilt for everything he was accused of in hopes of getting a shorter prison term.
The High Court said the victims had been coerced by Lu’s power and status as a coach and were not “seduced or willing” to take the indecent photos.
Lu was sentenced under the Child and Youth Sexual Exploitation Prevention Act (兒童及少年性剝削防制條例), the High Court said, handing him 26 years in prison.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as