Beijing’s claims that a Ministry of National Defense (MND)-backed organization was behind cyberattacks targeting Chinese Internet infrastructure is a typical Russian cognitive warfare tactic aimed at diverting the attention of Chinese from unpopular government policies, a defense analyst said.
On Monday last week, the Chinese Ministry of State Security wrote on WeChat that the MND’s Information, Communications and Electronic Force Command (ICEFCOM) was funding a hacker group called “Anonymous 64.”
The post said the group had seized control of Web sites, outdoor electronic billboards and video-on-demand platforms in China, Hong Kong and Macau.
Photo courtesy of Military News Agency
The hackers’ activities included spreading false information, creating rifts in the public and weakening the governance of the Chinese Communist Party, it said.
In an analysis published on the Web site of the Institute for National Defense and Security Research, an MND think tank, policy analyst Tseng Min-chen (曾敏禎) wrote that China’s accusation seeks to divert Chinese public’s attention from a bill the Chinese National People’s Congress passed on Sept. 13 increasing the legal retirement age from 60 to 63 for male workers who do not hold a managerial position, from 50 to 55 for female workers and from 55 to 58 for female executives in a 15-year span starting from next year.
The legislation has caused considerable discontent among Chinese, which was followed by Beijing’s hacking accusation, Tseng said.
The claim was pulled directly from Russia’s cognitive warfare playbook, which centers on the “four Ds” — “distract” attention, “distort” facts, “dismiss” the opponent and “dismay” the intended audience, she said.
Referring to the WeChat post, she questioned why the Chinese government was so slow to respond and only mentioned the alleged cyberattacks now, after claiming the activities began in 2017 shortly after the ICEFCOM was created.
The Chinese agency identified three people who are allegedly active members of Taiwan’s military and under investigation by Chinese authorities for their involvement in the cyberattacks.
That is a legal warfare tactic aimed at generating dismay and rattling Taiwanese, Tseng said.
On Monday last week, ICEFCOM denied China’s accusations.
Beijing is attempting to cover up that China is itself a hotbed of hackers, and Taipei should devise responses to counter China’s cognitive warfare, Tseng said.
Following the accusation, many people have criticized the government online for funding an “Internet army,” a response that plays into Beijing’s hands, as China can easily exploit the comments by sharing them with the Chinese public, thus achieving its goal of distraction, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as