The juvenile court of the New Taipei City District Court yesterday sentenced male and female students involved in a fatal school stabbing of a classmate in December last year to nine and eight years in prison respectively.
The court said the sentences were lower than those that would be handed down to adult offenders in line with Article 18 of the Criminal Code, which states that “punishment may be reduced” for offenders aged 14 to 18.
Under Article 271 of the Criminal Code, “a person who takes the life of another shall be sentenced to death or life imprisonment or imprisonment for not less than 10 years.”
Photo: Chen Wei-tzu, Taipei Times
The defendants had already demonstrated remorse for their “mistake” and “inappropriate words and actions,” but “still need time to study and adjust,” the court said.
The ruling can be appealed.
On Dec. 25 last year during a noon break at an unnamed New Taipei City junior high school, the female student reportedly had an argument with a ninth-grader identified by his surname Yang (楊).
She later returned with another male student who stabbed Yang in the neck and chest several times with a switchblade after the female student allegedly urged him to “kill” Yang during an ensuing fight.
Yang was taken to Far Eastern Memorial Hospital in New Taipei City’s Banciao District (板橋) where he died the following evening.
After an initial investigation, prosecutors on May 9 charged the juveniles on suspicion of homicide, and they were detained and held incommunicado.
The case was heavily covered in the news, with many shocked by the killing of a student on school premises.
The father of the male defendant spoke to reporters after the sentencing, saying that his son “should accept the punishment given to him.”
However, in a statement released by the victim’s family criticizing the “leniency” of the court’s ruling, Yang’s father vowed to appeal the decision and said that “our laws have become a protective umbrella for criminals.”
The defendants, who were in junior high at the time of the incident, as well as the school in which the incident occurred, cannot be identified by name in the media due to child protection laws.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as