The High Court has overturned a previous acquittal of former air force officer Lou Wen-ching (樓文卿) in a Chinese spying case. Lou was convicted for passing military secrets to China and was handed a 17-year prison sentence and would be deprived of his civil rights for 10 years. The decision was made at a second trial yesterday, following an acquittal in September 2020.
Former air force officers — colonel Ko Chi-hsien (葛季賢) and lieutenant colonel Lou Wen-ching (樓文卿) — were recruited by spy networks set up by Chinese intelligence officer Zhen Xiaojiang (鎮小江), who enticed them with financial rewards, investigators said.
Investigators presented evidence of Lou and Ko conducting espionage activities and obtaining classified materials, which they passed to Zhen, who had recruited a number of military officers to develop a spy network.
Photo: Taipei Times file
The case also embroiled retired army major general Hsu Nai-chuan (許乃權).
The High Court previously cited insufficient evidence and inconsistencies in testimonies in its decision to acquit Lou and Ko, but the prosecution appealed and the case was returned to the court for a retrial.
After another round of investigations, the judges ruled there was sufficient evidence that Lou stole classified military materials from the air force units and passed it to China. Lou was found guilty of contravening Article 17 of the Criminal Code of the Armed Forces (陸海空軍刑法) for “committing an act of espionage for an enemy.”
The court handed Lou a 17-year prison sentence, which is considered a severe penalty, as most spying case convictions in the past decade usually only resulted in three to four-year prison sentences. Lou was also ordered to forfeit US$4,000 and an additional NT$50,000 of criminal proceeds.
Meanwhile, the court upheld the acquittal for Ko, citing insufficient evidence.
The ruling for both defendants can still be appealed.
Zhen, a retired Chinese People’s Liberation Army captain, was arrested in 2014.
Investigators said he had operated the largest Chinese spy network in Taiwan in recent decades.
He offered up to US$10,000 for top secret information on Taiwan’s Leshan Radar Station in Hsinchu County, deployment plans for military drills and pilot training for French-made Mirage 2000 jet fighters.
Successive court rulings have upheld the guilty verdicts on Zhen and Hsu, convicting them of contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法).
Zhen in 2016 received a four-year prison term and Hsu received a two-year and 10-month sentence.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as