Student learning portfolios can help universities make admissions decisions, but up to 5 percent of high-school students said they could not get help from teachers as they prepared them, academics said on Tuesday at a news conference arranged by the Ministry of Education.
The ministry’s curriculum guidelines released in 2019 for 12-year basic education require students to compile a portfolio of their learning outcomes over the three years of high school.
Since 2022, university applicants have been required to submit their portfolios.
Photo: Rachel Lin, Taipei Times
However, some students told education rights group EdYouth that their teachers refused to assist them, with their learning portfolios, causing concern among parents over children’s rights to apply to universities, two professors said.
Lin Kuo-ming (林國明), a professor in National Taiwan University’s Department of Sociology, last year conducted a survey of high-school students and high-school teachers nationwide, with a response rate of 76.39 percent among 2,825 students and 78.32 percent among 1,228 teachers.
About 5 percent of students said that their teachers were unhelpful with their learning portfolios, while 80 percent of teachers said they helped, Lin said.
The survey showed that 70.85 percent of teachers said they could not help due to tight schedules and overwhelming amounts of work, while 69.87 percent said they were uncertain whether the portfolios would matter to professors, Lin said, urging the ministry to write a policy to guide teachers regarding the matter.
Department of Higher Education Director-General Liao Kao-hsien (廖高賢) said that the ministry would collaborate with the Education Administration to prepare a policy and guide teachers to help students collate their portfolios.
Although some students believed the portfolios would give richer students an advantage over others, the research showed that less than 2 percent of students attended cram schools to polish up their portfolios, while satisfaction with their portfolios was not affected by the urban-rural divide, their parents’ occupations and their family’s social status, Lin said.
Eighty percent of teachers believed that producing a portfolio would help students develop abilities and explore their aspirations, while 90 percent of students reported acquiring a new skill from the work, he said.
Underprivileged students tended to believe that the portfolios helped them explore their aspirations and cultivate skills, he added.
The ministry said that it commissioned National Sun Yat-sen University (NSYSU) to research the opinions of professors who have reviewed written applications for admission to universities, with more than 3,300 surveyed every year.
The percentage of professors who read written applications at the second stage of the university admissions process has increased every year, said Shih Ching-lin (施慶麟), a professor in NSYSU’s Institute of Education.
Most professors review 31 to 60 written applications per year and spend about 14 minutes reading each application, Shih said.
Meanwhile, the National Federation of Teachers’ Unions suggested setting a deadline for uploading PDF files of the portfolios, a format allowed in the university admissions process.
Department of Higher Education head Kuo Chia-yin (郭佳音) said that the issue would be examined, with the needs of students of different backgrounds, such as those from experimental education providers, taken into account.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as