Safety testing of the air force’s Mirage 2000 jets is complete and the aircraft are set to return to the skies today, the military said, after a crash earlier this month grounded the fleet.
A Dassault Mirage 2000 fighter jet crashed on Sept. 10, leading the air force to ground the 53-strong fleet to implement strict air-safety testing.
A Mirage 2000-5 aircraft, serial No. 2047, was conducting nighttime exercises when the engine stalled, causing the plane to go down off the coast of Hsinchu County.
Photo: Liu Yu-chieh, Taipei Times
The pilot, Captain Hsieh Pei-hsun (謝沛勳) of the Second Tactical Fighter Wing, parachuted from the aircraft and was rescued by a coast guard vessel at 10:39pm.
He was sent to a hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries and was discharged Sept. 13.
Recovery of the aircraft began on Wednesday last week.
All aircraft undergo weekly and pre-flight checks, but this recent round of testing focused on potential causes of the failure with relation to the engines and fuel system, with an emphasis on the drive shaft, fuel filter, fuel pump and ejector seat, the Ministry of National Defense told the Youth Daily News today.
The operation relied on the cooperation of ground personnel, utilizing cross-disciplinary professional knowledge and technical skill to quickly complete checks and enable exercises to resume, the military said.
Weather permitting, the fleet would be ready to return to the skies today after 13 days, it added.
The crash was the ninth serious incident involving the air force’s Mirage 2000s since Taiwan acquired 60 Mirage fighters starting in 1997.
In the nearly 30-year flight history of Taiwan’s Mirage 2000s, seven of the aircraft have crashed, with five pilots killed and eight rescued in such incidents.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated