Ninety percent of people with moderate-to-severe symptoms of atopic dermatitis (atopic eczema) can effectively control their condition after receiving proper treatment for a year, the Atopic Dermatitis Patient Association (ADPA) said yesterday.
The slogan for this year’s World Atopic Eczema Day on Saturday is “atopic eczema unfiltered,” meaning to focus on understanding the true and unfiltered reality of those living with the condition, highlighting their daily challenges and the need for comprehensive care, ADPA president Chu Chia-yu (朱家瑜) said.
The association surveyed people with atopic dermatitis to understand their daily challenges and treatment, asking participants to fill out a questionnaire every three months for two years to follow up on their conditions after proper treatment, said Chu, a dermatologist at National Taiwan University Hospital.
Photo: CNA
The first phase of the survey collected four questionnaires from 238 people, with a median age of 26.5, between June last year and August this year, he said.
The survey found that while about 40 percent of respondents were assessed by doctors as having moderate-to-severe cases, after receiving a year of continuous treatment, only about 10 percent of them were assessed as still having moderate-to-severe symptoms, while many of them had nearly no or only mild symptoms.
“The treatments cannot completely cure atopic dermatitis, but getting proper treatment from a professional physician can help patients effectively manage their conditions,” Chu said.
The survey also showed a gap between patients’ perception of the severity of their condition and their doctors’ assessments, he said.
About 40 percent of respondents were diagnosed as having moderate-to-severe cases, while about 50 percent said they feel they have moderate-to-severe symptoms, he added.
“We found that people often feel their condition is worse than doctors think it is, and it might be because doctors can only assess from apparent symptoms, but cannot know how it affects each person’s daily life,” Chu said.
Regarding treatment, the survey showed that up to 95 percent of respondents had used topical treatments in the past three months, with 87 percent of them requiring topical corticosteroids, he said.
Among those who took oral medications in the past three months, about 85 percent had taken oral antihistamines, a class of drug often used to relieve allergy symptoms, he said.
Forty percent also said they took immunosuppressants, including cyclosporine, methotrexate and azathioprine, Chu said, adding that about 15 percent of them also took small molecule targeted drugs, including abrocitinib, baricitinib and upadacitinib.
Nearly 30 percent of the respondents said they received a new biologic drug dupilumab, given by injection under the skin once every two weeks, he said.
“The best treatment for each person might be different and should be made through shared decisionmaking between the doctor and the patient,” Chu said.
The association also invited two people to share their experiences, including a 29-year-old man surnamed Ho (何) who has been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis since age five, and a 30-year-old woman surnamed Chou (周), who had been diagnosed at age seven, both moderate-to-severe cases.
Ho said he had seen many Western and traditional Chinese medicine doctors and tried folk remedies since he was young, but had become frustrated as his condition did not improve and he always felt tired even after sleeping for 10 to 12 hours a night.
Nevertheless, he last year again went to see a doctor as the itchiness was unbearable, he said.
He said he did not have high hopes at first, but was surprised that after routinely taking new drugs for a year, it greatly improved his atopic dermatitis symptoms, as well as his asthma.
He can now spend less time caring for his skin, and has even started some outdoor activities, he said.
Chou said she always kept her hair short as long hair would stick to skin blisters.
She said she often felt hurt when people looked at her with strange expressions, and was even told no one would love her because of her skin condition.
After receiving effective treatment, she said she finally has the courage to try new things, such as swimming and surfing.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as