Taiwanese veteran cinematographer Mark Lee (李屏賓) is being spotlighted by the New York City movie theater, Metrograph, in its film show titled “Daring Motion: The Films of Mark Lee Ping-bing” from Friday last week to Sept. 29.
Best known for his collaboration with Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-hsien (侯孝賢), Lee, 70, is “one of the most formidable cinematographers” and “a genius of the long take with an uncanny ability to coax indelibly composed images out of the most unpromising low-light conditions,” the event page said.
Lee attended the Saturday screening of Millennium Mambo (千禧曼波), a 2001 Taiwanese romantic drama film directed by Hou, after which he received a standing ovation from a full house during a symposium.
Photo: CNA
After more than 20 years since the movie debuted, Lee spoke about his and Hou’s creative process at the symposium.
“Our original aim was having a young heart: a trembling, unstable heart. So, we chose camerawork in which everyone can feel instability, with tight images, a very unclear future and expectations for life changes,” he said.
Lee recalled looking forward to the digital era with Hou, even though they did not fully grasp what “digital” meant at the time.
“So, we tried to capture a sense of digitality in Millennium Mambo while anticipating that new era,” he said. “Do you think you felt that sense of digitality while watching the film?”
In the past few years after the digital era was ushered in, Lee embraced small and simple cameras and filming gadgets after initial misgivings.
“I have recently learned how to take pictures with a mobile phone,” Lee said, adding that he used to dislike doing so because it felt “too cheap and easy.”
“Just a click and several shots would be taken, and the photography process is lost, [but] now I am practicing taking one picture at a time, and I think I do quite alright,” he said.
There was no turning back after stepping into the world of cinema, he said.
“Filmmaking is a lifetime pursuit,” he said. “So, this is where I’m at, with 120 or so films at the age of 70.”
The month-long show is being sponsored by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in New York. Eleven films by Lee as well as Let the Wind Carry Me (乘著光影旅行), a documentary featuring Lee, is to be screened, according to the Metrograph Web site.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as