The Ministry of Justice must address the case against democracy advocate Peng Ming-min (彭明敏), while the Executive Yuan must accelerate broader judicial reforms, including transitional justice education, groups told a news conference in Taipei yesterday, the 60th anniversary of the day Peng released A Declaration of Formosan Self-Salvation (台灣人民自救宣言).
Peng passed away on April, 8, 2022.
Peng in 1964 drafted the declaration with his students Hsieh Tsung-min (謝聰敏) and Wei Ting-chao (魏廷朝). The document called Chiang Kai-shek’s (蔣介石) dream of “retaking the mainland” unattainable, and advocated for “one Taiwan, one China,” a new constitution, joining the UN as Taiwan and creating a free nation.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
Representatives of civic groups — including the Peng Ming-min Foundation, the Educational Foundation of Chung-Ming Hsieh, the Wei Ting-chao Human Rights, Culture and Education Association, and the National Taiwan University (NTU) Graduate Student Association School History Investigation Task Force — made three demands:
They called on the Ministry of Justice to reassess the case against Peng; the Executive Yuan to speed up the process of broader judicial and administrative redress; and for transitional justice education to be implemented and for the effects of the White Terror on campuses to be investigated.
During the White Terror era, Peng, Hsieh and Wei wrote the declaration, and advocated Taiwanese democracy and freedom, but faced a miscarriage of justice that has yet to be resolved, Peng Ming-min Foundation chairman Cheng Yi-ho (鄭義和) said.
The case still reverberates within academic circles and although Peng passed away more than two years ago, the ideals he stood for remain, Cheng said.
He called for an urgent redress and for government agencies to focus on transitional justice, not only in Peng’s case, but also the 20,000 students, teachers and others affected during the White Terror period.
“Time is the biggest enemy,” he said.
Educational Foundation of Chung-Ming Hsieh chairman Hsueh Han-chun (薛翰駿) said that the transitional justice commission — which was ended two years ago — should be reinstated and its responsibilities distributed among government agencies.
Although the Executive Yuan has passed the National Action Program for Transitional Justice Education (國家轉型正義教育綱領), the effects so far have been limited, said Hsu Kuan-tse (許冠澤), a member of the graduate student investigative team.
Whenever the state exonerates a student, revokes a guilty verdict or redresses a violation, the person’s school should be automatically notified, Hsu said.
The school can hold commemorative activities and use the event as an opportunity to educate students and professors, promote the broader goal of transitional justice education and shed light on the experiences of alumni, he said.
The foundation said that while Peng’s family has not yet submitted a petition to the Ministry of Justice to redress his case, the foundation in November last year submitted a petition, but has not yet received a response.
The foundation announced two activities to be held this week.
On Thursday a seminar is to commemorate Peng’s declaration and President William Lai (賴清德) has been invited speak at it, the foundation said.
The second event is a music festival to be held at the NTU School of Law, it said.
People who attend are invited to participate and deepen their understanding of transformational justice, it added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as