Presidential earthquake alerts from tomorrow are to include areas experiencing an estimated intensity of 3 or higher, down from an intensity of 4, for quakes measuring 6.5 or higher on the Richter scale, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said yesterday.
The Public Warning System currently sends alert messages to people whose locations are anticipated to be affected by earthquakes with a magnitude of 5 or higher, and an intensity of at least 4, the agency told a news conference.
To allow for two to three more seconds for people to take cover, the system would also issue presidential alerts for areas that could experience an intensity of 3 or higher during a magnitude 6.5 or higher quake, it said.
Photo: CNA
CWA Seismological Center Director Wu Chien-fu (吳健富) said the agency decided to lower the threshold for triggering a presidential alert in the wake of the Hualien earthquake on April 3, which measured 7.2 on the Richter scale.
Some earthquakes of lower magnitude have long duration and strong low-frequency waves, he said, adding that the effect of such temblors is more noticeable in high-rise buildings.
For example, if the intensity measured on the first floor is level 3, then it would be level 4 when seismic waves are transmitted to the ninth floor, Wu said.
Meanwhile, the Hualien earthquake indicated that the system’s initial forecast tended to underestimate severity, so quakes with a magnitude of 6.5 or higher are included to allow for more response time, he said, adding that quakes of this level are usually followed by aftershocks.
Although some people have found presidential alert messages “annoying,” the frequency should be reasonable and tolerable, Wu said.
There have been eight earthquakes of magnitude 6.5 or higher since 2022, he said, adding that based on this frequency, only 1.4 more alerts would be issued on average in the same period under the new scheme.
People in northern Taiwan might be alerted more frequently due to site effects, in which seismic waves are amplified by changing geological conditions, Wu added.
He cited Taipei as an example, where the Hualien earthquake reached the greatest intensity 16 to 17 seconds after it occurred, saying that the alert messages could have been issued two to three seconds earlier if the system had been triggered by quakes with an intensity of as low as 3.
The CWA uses cell broadcast technology to send alert messages via the system within seconds after an earthquake happens, he said, adding that the response time is crucial for people to escape from objects that would fall or pull over their car if they are driving.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as