President William Lai’s (賴清德) family home in New Taipei City has been turned into a miners’ museum and is to be open to the public for free from October, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) announced on Tuesday.
The property in Wanli District (萬里), as well as the nearby Liukeng coal mine and the ruins of its office, would form a cultural park aimed at educating the public about Taiwan’s mining history, the DPP told a news conference.
Reservations would be required and up to 20 people each on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays would be allowed to visit, the DPP said.
Photo: Chen Cheng-yu, Taipei Times
In addition to an exhibition of photographs documenting miners’ lives, visitors would also have access to guided tours and oral history activities, it said.
In a Facebook post later on Tuesday, Lai encouraged the public to visit the site, which he said would “foster mutual understanding and help unify Taiwan.”
The property was at the center of controversy during Lai’s campaign leading up to the presidential election on Jan. 13.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Taiwan People’s Party accused Lai’s family of illegally expanding the property and said that the building should have been torn down by the New Taipei City government years ago.
Lai said at the time that the house is one of hundreds of renovated miners’ units built decades ago in New Taipei City, where there used to be several mining districts.
However, mining companies closed and many of the original units were purchased and renovated for safety reasons, he said.
The units predate the Regional Planning Act (區域計畫法), which prohibits unauthorized expansion, he said.
Despite believing that the property does not contravene regulations, Lai said he was sorry that it became an issue during the presidential race and jeopardized the rights of residents living in similar units.
To commemorate the contributions made by miners to Taiwan’s economic growth in the past century, Lai late last year pledged that he would transfer the rights of the Wanli property to a charitable trust and prioritize turning it into a miners’ museum.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated