Police yesterday rejected allegations they had dragged their feet in searching for Ralf Klausnitzer, a German professor who went missing in late March after arriving in Taiwan earlier that month as part of an academic exchange program.
The Hualien Police Bureau has conducted seven search-and-rescue operations since Tamkang University first reported Klausnitzer missing on April 2, but has not yet located him, bureau official Chen Yi-wen (陳奕?) told reporters.
The 57-year-old literature professor, who was invited by the university in New Taipei City to give a lecture in late March, traveled to Hualien after completing the assignment and spent the night of March 25 in a local hotel, Chen said.
Photo courtesy of the Sincheng Police Precinct via CNA
Klausnitzer’s last sighting was recorded by surveillance footage on March 26, showing him exiting a bus at Taroko Gorge’s Tiansiang Village (天祥) at 9:04am, entering Siangde Temple at 9:27am and leaving 20 minutes later, Chen said.
Although the police organized a search-and-rescue mission on April 2, it was suspended the following day after the region was struck by an earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale, which killed at least 18 people and injured more than 1,100, Chen added.
Rescue efforts resumed after power was restored and rockfalls removed, with multiple visits to local residents conducted in April and May, he said.
Each mission lasted five to six hours, including searches along the riverbed using drones, but no trace of Klausnitzer was found, Chen said.
The police also released Klausnitzer’s image in May, calling for any tips from the public to restart the search, but no new information has been received so far, Chen said.
The German newspaper Berliner Zeitung on Monday published a letter by Klausnitzer’s parents, who said they were upset with the Taiwanese and German authorities’ handling of the case.
Klausnitzer’s parents questioned why the search did not begin earlier, given that the hotel their son stayed at must have become aware of his disappearance on March 27.
Another complication hindering the search is the lack of formal diplomatic ties between Taiwan and Germany, Klausnitzer’s parents said, criticizing the lukewarm response by the German Federal Foreign Office.
Klausnitzer’s two sons arrived in Hualien on June 9 to survey the area and provide DNA samples to the police, but were left with troubling questions that led them to wonder “whether any information was being withheld,” they said.
Yesterday, Hualien police reiterated that anyone with information on Klausnitzer’s whereabouts should contact them.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as