Nineteen cases of locally acquired melioidosis were reported last week, bringing the total this year to 37, with 30 of these cases having been reported after Typhoon Gaemi swept over Taiwan last month, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday.
The 19 cases of melioidosis — a bacterial infection that is spread through contact with contaminated soil, water or air, with cases often increasing after a typhoon — ranged in age from 20 to 90, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Lee Chia-lin (李佳琳) said.
Fifteen of those who fell ill were in Kaohsiung, in addition to two each in Tainan and Taichung, Lee said.
Photo: Lin Hui-chin, Taipei Times
They began exhibiting symptoms between July 27 and Wednesday last week, and seven of them had direct exposure to dirty water or dirt, Lee said.
A total of 37 local cases, including five deaths, have been reported this year, the most for the same period in a decade, Lee said.
Three of the deaths were reported last week.
All three people who died had underlying health conditions, and developed pneumonia or went into septic shock after infection and died within 15 days after the onset of symptoms, CDC physician Wu Hao-hsin (鄔豪欣) said.
One of them was an 89-year-old bedridden woman with neuromuscular disease, who was rushed to a hospital due to difficulty breathing and low blood oxygen levels, he said.
She had no vital signs when she arrived at the hospital, and the bacteria that cause melioidosis were found in her blood after she died, he added.
Another case was a 54-year-old woman with a hematologic disease who had respiratory problems and was rushed to a hospital after experiencing heart palpitations, cold sweat and shock, and died one day after hospitalization, he said.
The third case was a 65-year-old man with diabetes, who developed a fever and pneumonia, and died 10 days after hospitalization, he added.
As of press time last night, 14 of the cases were still in hospital for treatment, including two in intensive care, CDC data showed.
CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞) said that among the 30 local cases reported after Gaemi struck Taiwan, the majority were middle-aged to elderly adults who have chronic diseases.
A significant increase in melioidosis cases usually occurs within nine days after a typhoon, so weekly numbers are likely to go down this week, Lo said.
However, as some people develop symptoms later or delay seeking treatment, cases could still be reported until the end of the month, he said.
Lo urged people, especially those with underlying health conditions, to pay attention to their health and seek medical attention if they develop suspected symptoms.
In related news, Lee said a case of severe complications from enterovirus infection was reported last week — a 10-month-old baby who had received two doses of the enterovirus A71 vaccine, but was found to be infected with Coxsackievirus A2.
Lo said the vaccine has a very high efficacy against enterovirus A71, the most severe neurotoxic enterovirus, but does not provide cross-protection against other types of enteroviruses, so taking personal preventive measures are important.
Weekly hospital visits for enterovirus have been declining, but there were still 11,381 visits last week, exceeding the epidemic threshold, and a total of five serious cases have been reported this year, Lee said.
In addition, five cases of mpox were reported last week, Lo said.
With 15 cases reported last month and nine this month, the risk of infection would continue to increase this summer, as more social gatherings and parties are held, Lo said, urging eligible recipients to get fully vaccinated.
The WHO’s emergency committee is to hold a meeting today to decide whether to declare an international emergency over the outbreak of a deadlier and more transmissible type of mpox called “clade 1b,” which was first reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and spread to several other African countries, he added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as