Chinese apps are a potential national security risk because of China’s authoritarian political system, two Institute for National Defense and Security Research (INDSR) experts said.
“Information security risks are national security risks,” said Tzeng Yi-suo (曾怡碩), an associate research fellow at the INDSR’s Division of Cyber Security and Decision-making Simulation.
“As long as the app is under the jurisdiction of the Chinese government, there will basically be security concerns,” he added.
Photo: Reuters
Tzeng said that commercial companies collect data about app users and then use algorithms to tailor information and marketing.
This is not a problem in a democratic country governed by the rule of law such as Taiwan, because if the information involves judicial cases, the government would be required to go through legal procedures to obtain the information, he said.
However, the National Intelligence Law of the People’s Republic of China and the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Guarding State Secrets empower Chinese government agencies to require platform service providers to hand over users’ data “as long as they determine that national security is involved,” he said.
“How the Chinese government obtains the data and what it does with it is not transparent,” he added.
In areas under China’s authoritarian control, including Hong Kong and Macau, China “can assert its sovereignty” and “investigate the words and actions of users” using data collected by Chinese apps, he said.
In places outside its jurisdiction, “China’s authoritarian system” still poses risks to users, said Lee Jyun-yi (李俊毅), an associate research fellow at the INDSR’s Division of National Security Research.
Lee cited the US court testimony of former employees of ByteDance, TikTok’s parent company, as evidence that “TikTok does indeed transmit users’ personal information back to China.”
In addition to the security of personal data, Chinese apps such as Douyin and TikTok pose risks relating to the spread of false information, Lee said.
Lee said that although misleading information is not limited to Chinese apps, popular Western platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and YouTube have adopted new methods to crack down on bot accounts and mark state-funded media.
“TikTok’s lack of effort to do so makes it relatively easy for false information to spread,” he said, adding that Chinese apps might “shape users’ perceptions” with the use of algorithms.
Up to 40 percent of popular videos on Chinese apps come from accounts controlled by the Chinese government, he said.
“The Chinese government has implemented legislation which requires media platforms’ algorithm recommendation models to comply with the values of the Chinese Communist Party,” he said.
Taking Douyin as an example, Lee said that the platform promotes content that is “beneficial to China,” and the Chinese government requires the platform to self-censor.
This makes it “difficult for short videos that are negative or critical of China to appear or spread, which has a long-term effect in shaping people’s perceptions,” he added.
The two security experts are not alone in their concerns about Chinese apps such as TikTok.
In March, then-minister of digital affairs Audrey Tang (唐鳳) said TikTok had been classified as a “dangerous product.”
The use of the app is banned in government agencies and on their premises in Taiwan.
In April, US President Joe Biden signed into law a bill titled Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act, which requires ByteDance to divest its US assets or face a nationwide ban. The earliest such a ban could go into effect would be Jan. 19 next year.
India completely banned TikTok in June 2020, while countries including Australia, the UK, France, the Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Canada and New Zealand have separately imposed rules limiting certain people, especially government employees, from using the app due to cyber-security concerns.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as