Former independent Taipei City councilor Chen Cheng-chung (陳政忠) yesterday reported to prison to begin a six-year sentence for stock manipulation and misrepresentation in a company prospectus.
Chen, 69, who served as a city councilor for nearly 40 years until he was forced to step down last month, arrived at the Taiwan Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office at about noon, 90 minutes later than the scheduled time of 10:30am.
Wearing a white cap, white polo shirt and mask, he did not make any public comments before hugging family members who accompanied him and turning himself over to prosecutors, local Chinese-language media reported.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
Last month, the Supreme Court rejected Chen’s appeal against a combined six-year prison sentence issued by the High Court for breaches of the Securities and Exchange Act (證券交易法).
The High Court had sentenced Chen to four years in prison for manipulating the stock of Hongfu Construction, a property development company he founded and was a key shareholder of. It also sentenced him to an additional two years in jail for providing false or misleading information in a company prospectus that formed part of the firm’s application for a public offering.
The Supreme Court said in a statement announcing its verdict on Chen’s appeal that the ruling was final and prosecutors should take measures to prevent Chen’s escape.
The case dates back to 2001, when the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen for breach of trust, fraud, business misappropriation and contravening the Securities and Exchange Act.
Chen, who had served 10 terms as a Taipei City councilor since 1985, was accused of hollowing out the property development company’s assets and stealing up to NT$6 billion (US$183.55 million) from the business since 1993.
In the first trial against Chen in 2006, the Taipei District Court sentenced him to 20 years in prison for stock manipulation, breach of trust and misrepresentation in a company prospectus, but the High Court reduced the sentence to nine years.
Chen appealed the case multiple times, winning and losing several retrials.
The Supreme Court’s judgement on July 17, upholding the High Court’s combined six-year prison sentence, represented the culmination of a legal battle lasting more than two decades between prosecutors and Chen.
The Taipei City Council said at the time that because the Supreme Court’s ruling was final, Chen had to give up his post as a city councilor in accordance with provisions of the Local Government Act (地方制度法) and the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法).
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as