Seven basketball clubs are to launch the Taiwan Professional Basketball League following the breakdown of talks for a new league merging T1 League and P.League+.
The owners of the new league announced the appointment of Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) as its commissioner, while the league held a draft event late last month.
Over the years, Chuang has supported Taiwanese basketball’s healthy growth by proposing amendments to the National Sports Act (國民體育法), which has enabled several outstanding foreign-born players to acquire citizenship to represent the nation at international competitions, the league said in a news release.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
Over the past month, the negotiations about merging T1 and P.League+ broke down tumultuously, with corporation owners trading barbs in some instances.
Some sports pundits said they are positive about the sport’s future following a boom in the Taiwanese economy caused by artificial intelligence and other computer-related technologies, which makes it more likely that corporate owners would invest in sports, enabling better finances and signings of higher-quality players.
As T1 abolished itself following the merger talks breaking down, it gave birth to the Taiwan Professional Basketball League with seven teams: the Formosa Dreamers, CTBC DEA, Hsinchu Lioneers, New Taipei Kings, Taiwan Beer Leopards, Kaohsiung Aquas and Taipei Mars.
“This is a historic moment as the Taiwan Professional Basketball League teams draft players, and it marks the beginning of a new era... Team owners and I will put in utmost efforts to bring on the most exciting games and the best league organization to provide the most enjoyable game experiences for fans,” Chuang said following the draft event.
Local media reports said the merger talks started early last month, but they were dragged on as some club owners were unwilling to compromise on several key issues.
Meanwhile, P. League+ will get its season started in November. It consists of Fubon Braves, Kaohsiung Steelers, Taoyuan Pauian Pilots, and TSG GhostHawks.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as