Eight Taiwanese fishers from Yilan County’s Suao Township (蘇澳) are expected to be released soon after an agreement was reached yesterday between the Taiwanese and Japanese authorities after the fishers’ boat was boarded and detained by Japan Coast Guard officers for allegedly entering the coastal waters off Japan’s Yonaguni Island.
The Yilan-registered Fu Shen fishing vessel was intercepted by a Japan Coast Guard vessel at about 4pm on Sunday.
Taiwan Fisheries Agency officials yesterday said that an agreement had been reached following talks between both countries’ foreign affairs representatives.
Photo courtesy of a reader
The fishers would be released soon after the fishing vessel’s owner paid a ¥1.5 million (US$9,749) fine, the agency said.
The talks were conducted by officials from the Naha branch office of Taiwan’s de facto embassy in Japan. Naha is the capital city of Okinawa Prefecture, which administers its southern Yaeyama Islands, including Yonaguni Island.
Suao Fishermen’s Association director Chen Chun-sheng (陳春生), said there needs to be verification on whether the boat was fishing within Japan’s coastal waters, or just passing through with the “right of innocent passage,” which is reserved for vessels moving through territorial waters in a manner that does not threaten the security of the coastal state.
If it was passing, “we must demand that our government uphold the rights of Taiwanese fishers, and request that the Japanese side conduct a thorough investigation,” he said.
“However, if the Fu Shen did engage in illegal fishing, then let us apply the existing regulations and the normal procedures to handle this matter. Our association is to work together with Taiwan’s foreign affairs office in Naha City to secure their release, to help the crew members and the boat to return home safely,” Chen said.
The Fu Shen left Nanfangao Harbor (南方澳漁港) at about 10pm on Saturday, and was about 40 nautical miles (74km) off Suao when it was approached by the Japan Coast Guard vessel, Chen said, adding that the dispute might be over a difference of opinion on whether the boat had entered the 12 nautical miles zone that marks Japan’s territorial waters, as Yonaguni Island lies 58 nautical miles off Taiwan’s Yilan County.
The Fu Shen was seen illegally fishing inside Japan’s territorial waters, the Japan Coast Guard said.
After the crew members ignored a request to stop, Japan Coast Guard officers boarded the boat to detain the crew members, it added.
The detained crew members were taken to Ishigaki Island, the commercial hub of the Yaeyama Islands, while an investigation was conducted, the Japanese authorities said.
The Coast Guard Administration has dispatched a Yilan-class patrol vessel to the Yaeyama Islands to repatriate the detained boat and the Taiwanese crew.
Additional reporting by Chen Chia-yi
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as