Officials from Taiwan and China are to meet today to discuss a deadly Kinmen County incident after the original meeting set for Wednesday last week was postponed due to Typhoon Gaemi, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said.
Both sides have agreed to hold the rescheduled meeting at the Everrich Golden Lake Hotel in Kinmen, the original location. They would discuss outstanding issues relating to the incident that left two Chinese dead on Feb. 14, the council said in a statement released on Sunday.
The representatives of the deceased fishers’ families would arrive in Kinmen yesterday to ensure smooth and thorough talks, the statement added.
Photo: Chung Li-hua, Taipei Times
Also yesterday, “personnel from both sides would inspect the meeting venue and discuss and confirm the schedule of activities for the next day,” the council said, without providing information on which officials would attend the meeting.
Since negotiations over the incident were suspended in March, the Ocean Affairs Council and the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) continued to communicate through designated channels with Chinese authorities, the statement said.
Both sides were originally scheduled to meet on Wednesday last week, but the impact of Typhoon Gaemi led to the suspension of cross-strait ferry services, preventing the family members of the deceased Chinese fishers and the delegation of Chinese officials from reaching Kinmen, the council said in a previous statement.
The council’s latest statement came after the Chinese-language Liberty Times (sister paper of the Taipei Times) reported earlier in the day that the meeting had been rescheduled and that an agreement would be reached.
The Chinese side would be represented by a director-level representative from the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits (ARATS), China’s semiofficial body handling technical and business matters with Taiwan.
The Taiwanese side would include officials from the MAC, the CGA, and ARATS’ counterpart, the Straits Exchange Foundation, the report said.
The report also quoted a source familiar with the matter saying that if everything proceeds smoothly, the bodies of the deceased Chinese fishers and the boat involved in the incident would be returned to China the same day as the meeting.
Consolation payments would also be given to the families of the deceased, the report said.
The boat incident occurred on Feb. 14 when a CGA vessel pursued a Chinese boat that entered prohibited waters off Kinmen.
The CGA said that the unnamed and unregistered Chinese boat fled after refusing a coast guard patrol vessel’s request to board the boat, setting off a high-speed chase that ended when the boat collided with the CGA vessel and capsized in waters near Kinmen, causing the deaths of two Chinese crew members.
The other two Chinese on the boat who survived the incident returned to China on Feb. 20, while the bodies of the deceased crew and the boat remained in Kinmen for further investigation.
The incident raised tensions around Kinmen, which is less than 10km from Xiamen, China.
Officials representing the two sides held several rounds of talks in February and March, but failed to reach an agreement on matters relating to the case, including how to compensate the families of the deceased.
The Chinese representative in the previous rounds of negotiations, Quanzhou City Taiwan Affairs Office Deputy Director Li Zhaohui (李朝暉), blamed the Taiwanese authorities for failing to provide an acceptable explanation of what happened and for creating obstacles to the demands from the families of the deceased.
However, the CGA has issued a statement saying that the Chinese side made demands that did not comply with Taiwan’s legal system, which made it impossible for both sides to reach an agreement.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as