Agricultural losses in Taiwan caused by Typhoon Gaemi totaled approximately NT$1.8 billion (US$54.83 million) as of 11am yesterday, Ministry of Agriculture statistics showed.
The three administrative areas that sustained the greatest losses were Pingtung County at NT$386 million, Chiayi County at NT$384 million and Yunlin County at NT$368 million, the data showed.
Sector-wise, crops were hit the hardest, with NT$1.2 billion losses, followed by fisheries with NT$270 million, livestock with NT$250 million and agricultural infrastructure with NT$57 million, it showed.
Photo courtesy of You Tzu-yuan
Farmers growing bananas, pears and guavas suffered the most, with estimated losses of NT$241.9 million, NT$84.6 million and NT$83.8 million respectively, the ministry added.
Fishery losses were mainly from damage to oysters, followed by milkfish and freshwater prawns, the ministry said.
Chickens accounted for majority of livestock losses at NT$214 million, followed by ducks, pigs and geese, it said.
Photo: CNA
Typhoon Gaemi swept through Taiwan on Thursday and left 10 people dead, two missing and 895 injured as of Saturday, and caused widespread flooding across the country.
Meanwhile, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) yesterday said that as of 8am yesterday, 59 people have been rescued from six of the eight cargo ships that ran aground in southern Taiwan due to Gaemi, while 29 people on two cargo ships are still waiting to be rescued, but are safe.
The cargo ships ran aground along Tainan, Kaohsiung and Pingtung County coastlines, the CGA’s Southern Branch said.
Photo from the Tainan Agricultural Bureau
Coast guards saved all eight crew members of cargo ship Basia, which ran aground 0.5 nautical miles (926m) southwest of Donggang Township (東港) in Pingtung County, during the latest rescue operation on Saturday evening, the CGA said.
Given improved weather conditions, one drone was dispatched on Saturday and two more were deployed yesterday to monitor the waters and shores around the cargo ships stranded along the coasts of Tainan and Kaohsiung for any drifting containers or oil spills, it said.
As for the Tanzania-registered cargo ship Fu Shun, which is believed to have sunk 16 nautical miles off Kaohsiung, the captain has been confirmed dead, four crew members have been rescued and four others remain missing, the CGA added.
The CGA said that the Fifth Maritime Patrol Flotilla received a report on Saturday evening about a body found near the Chung-yun Fishing Harbor in Kaohsiung’s Linyuan District (林園), but the retrieval operation has been delayed due to a large amount of driftwood surrounding the body, preventing personnel and vessels from approaching and confirming the deceased’s identity.
Separately, the Alishan Forest Railway, which resumed full operations earlier this month, is now to remain closed until the end of next month due to the impact of Typhoon Gaemi, the Alishan Forest Railway and Cultural Heritage Office said.
Eighty-nine locations along the railway line from Chiayi to Alishan stations were covered by fallen trees and landslide debris, it said.
The office said it would announce when services are to resume for Alishan railway’s three branch lines — Jhushan (祝山), Shenmu (神木) and Jhaoping (沼平) — at a later date.
People who have already purchased tickets can get a full refund at Alishan Forest Railway stations or at ibon-equipped 7-Eleven stores around the country within one year from the date of their ride, it said.
Travel agency Lion Travel Co said that scenic Formosensis and Vivid Express trains that run on the Alishan line have been suspended until the end of next month.
Passengers with tickets for next month are entitled to full refunds, the agency said, adding that prospective travelers can begin booking trips on the Formosensis train between October and December on Aug. 19.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated