Two defense experts on Saturday said that the military should consider rescheduling the live-fire component of the Han Kuang series of exercises, which was called off due to Typhoon Gaemi.
This year’s live-fire component of the Han Kuang military exercises was scheduled to take place from Monday to Friday last week, but was cut short on Thursday after Taiwanese troops were mobilized to assist in disaster relief following Typhoon Gaemi.
Last year, the military canceled a scheduled emergency landing and takeoff drill at Taitung Airport, in the east of the country, due to Typhoon Doksuri.
Photo: The Ministry of Defense via AFP
To prevent the annual drill from being cut short again and wasting a chance for the military to practice its defensive strategy, the Ministry of National Defense should consider rescheduling them, two defense academics said.
Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲), a research fellow at the state-run Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said the ministry should move the exercuses’ live-fire component from July to June as it would minimize the chance of the exercises being affected by typhoons.
Chieh Chung (揭仲), a researcher at the Taiwan-based Association of Strategic Foresight, said that because the Han Kuang exercises feature two components — a computerized wargames component in the first half of the year, and live-fire exercises in the second half of the year — the ministry should consider swapping their timing. The computerized wargames are normally held in April or May.
This would maximize the chance of avoiding typhoon disruptions and give college graduate conscripts, who tend to begin compulsory service after graduation, more time to undergo basic training and hone their expertise, before putting their training into action, Chieh said.
The ministry made positive changes to this year’s exercises, including “unscripted” combat scenarios that better simulate real-life battlefield conditions, Chieh said.
Previously, troops participating in the Han Kuang drill were informed about the scenarios beforehand, including when and where the simulated “invading force” would appear, so soldiers knew what to expect, he said.
This meant troops tended to focus less on defensive posts and overall defense tactics, he added.
The “unscripted” focus this year meant the simulated enemy attack could happen anywhere, at any time and with any weapon system, he said.
This meant troops had to familiarize themselves with the overall environment and practice different scenarios, Chieh said.
Another focus of this year’s Han Kuang exercises was to test the military’s decentralized command structure with exercises that monitor units’ decisionmaking capabilities after losing contact with central command.
Each soldier was also expected to follow updated Rules of Engagement (ROE) that outline the circumstances under which they are authorized to use certain weapons or launch counterattacks.
It is a pity that due to Typhoon Gaemi, the decentralized command structure has yet to be put to the test, Chieh said.
The ministry should consider testing each military unit’s familiarity with the updated ROE and decentralized command structure during the “combat readiness month” exercises held once every quarter, he added.
Asked about Chieh’s recommendation, a military general speaking on condition of anonymity said the ministry would assess the scenarios that were supposed to be tested in this year’s Han Kuang drills.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as