Taiwan Mobile has been fined NT$300,000 (US$9,136) as a default surcharge for failing to dispose of the excess bandwidth in frequency bands below 1 gigahertz (GHz) before the deadline designated by the National Communications Commission (NCC), as well as an additional NT$3 million fine for contravening the Telecommunications Act.
Taiwan Mobile has since returned the frequency as ordered.
The commission first issued the ruling on the default charge on July 10 after listening to a statement by Taiwan Mobile chief technology officer C.H. Jih (揭朝華).
Photo: Ting Yi, Taipei Times
The nation’s second-largest telecom was told to rectify the situation within three days after it received the official ruling, or it would face a fine of NT$3 million for failing to follow its business plan.
As the telecom did not rectify the situation as ordered, it was fined NT$3 million by the commission on July 17.
The nation’s three large telecoms are permitted to have no more than 50 megahertz (MHz) in frequency bands below 1GHz, which can produce radio waves that have higher penetration and diffraction capabilities, and enable telecoms to broaden the service coverage of 5G systems.
Taiwan Mobile obtained 60MHz in highly sought-after frequency bands following its merger with Taiwan Star Telecom, which the commission approved last year on the condition that by June 30, Taiwan Mobile must return the excess bandwidth of 10MHz to the government, or sell or transfer it to other telecoms.
In his statement, Jih said the company is still using the excess bandwidth to serve customers, but that it is scheduled to consolidate the base stations of Taiwan Mobile and Taiwan Star by the end of November and return the excess bandwidth to the Ministry of Digital Affairs by the end of December.
Taiwan Mobile said in a separate statement that it has been working ahead of its schedule since Dec. 1 last year.
“However, the time that we had to consolidate the network was too short, and the court has yet to rule over the administrative lawsuit that we filed challenging the conditions of the merger,” the company said. “To ensure the quality of services offered to users and protect shareholders’ interests, we have found it difficult to return the excess bandwidth before the end of June.”
NCC commissioners disagreed with Taiwan Mobile’s explanation, saying it has other ways to protect its users.
“There are multiple ways for the company to consolidate the networks. Why does it have to choose the one that is difficult to complete within a short period of time?” NCC Chief Secretary Huang Wen-che (黃文哲) said on behalf of the commissioners.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as