President William Lai (賴清德) yesterday vowed to continue to strengthen the nation’s defenses, as China sent the year’s biggest batch of warplanes near Taiwan to join drills with its Shandong aircraft carrier in the western Pacific.
“The Chinese Communists’ threat to regional stability continues to rise, and its gray zone intrusions into the Taiwan Strait and surrounding areas are also increasing day by day, which are a challenge to global democracy,” Lai told military officers in Taipei.
A total of 56 Chinese warplanes crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait or an extension of it between 5am on Wednesday and 6am yesterday, the Ministry of National Defense said.
Photo courtesy of the Coast Guard Administration
The planes flew into the northern, southeastern and southwestern parts of the nation’s air defense identification zone (ADIZ), it said.
They were part of a larger fleet of 66 Chinese aircraft detected around Taiwan en route to join the Shandong, it added.
Of the 56 aircraft, some flew as close as 33 nautical miles (61km) from Oluanpi (鵝鑾鼻) on Taiwan’s southernmost tip, flight paths released by the ministry showed.
As of Wednesday morning, the Shandong had transited through the Balintang Channel north of the Philippines, the ministry said.
The Chinese military exercises coincide with a NATO summit in Washington.
Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲), a research fellow at the state-run Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said that some of the flight paths were unusual.
He was referring to 26 aircraft that flew southwest to northeast through the southeastern ADIZ before again changing direction and leaving the area.
The flight path was unusual, as Balintang Channel is southeast of Taiwan, he said.
The planes likely took this unusual path deliberately, in response to the inauguration of American Institute in Taiwan Director Raymond Greene earlier this week and his scheduled meeting with Lai on Wednesday, Su said.
A Japanese destroyer also made a rare entry into China’s territorial waters near Taiwan this month without notifying China, sparking “serious concerns” from Beijing, Japanese media reported on Wednesday.
Also yesterday, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said it shadowed four China Coast Guard vessels that intruded into Taiwan-controlled waters around Kinmen County.
The four Chinese vessels approached the outer boundary of “restricted” waters around Kinmen and entered the Taiwan-controlled waters at 7am from four different points, the CGA said in a statement.
The intrusion was the first this month and 31st this year, it said.
The Chinese ships left the restricted waters at 9am only to re-enter at 10am, when the CGA again dispatched four vessels in response.
The Chinese vessels left Taiwan-controlled waters between noon and 1pm, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as