TRANSPORTATION
Alishan train to resume
The Alishan Forest Railway in Chiayi County is to resume full operations on Saturday, 15 years after part of the line was closed due to damage by Typhoon Morakot, the Alishan Forest Railway and Cultural Heritage Office said. Eighty-five tickets for the first train on Saturday were sold out within 10 minutes of going on sale at 2pm yesterday, when online bookings for tickets from that day to July 16 started, office deputy director Chou Heng-kai (周恆凱) said. All tickets for direct services from Chiayi Station to Alishan Station from Saturday to Wednesday next week were also snapped up within 20 minutes, Chou said. Following the completion of the new No. 42 tunnel, the railway is to reopen with a new timetable and four trains daily, he said. The full fare for a one-way journey from Chiayi to Alishan is NT$600. Ticket prices are unchanged, but fares might be adjusted after nine newly purchased locomotives and 48 cars go into service in the second half of next year, he said.
Photo courtesy of the Alishan Forest Railway and Cultural Heritage Office
MILITARY
PLA planes, ships detected
Nineteen Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft and vessels were detected in the airspace and waters around Taiwan in the 24-hour period starting at 6am on Monday, including aircraft flying as close as 47 nautical miles (87km) from Keelung, the Ministry of National Defense said yesterday. Thirteen Chinese military aircraft were detected in Taiwan’s vicinity, of which 10 crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait or its extension, entering the nation’s air defense identification zone, flight information released by the ministry showed. Six PLA vessels were detected in waters near Taiwan during the same 24-hour period, the information showed. The ministry said it was closely monitoring the situation and had deployed combat air patrol aircraft, coastal missile systems and navy vessels in response.
FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Marshallese minister arrives
Joe Bejang, the education, sports and training minister of the Marshall Islands, arrived in Taiwan yesterday for a five-day stay, during which he is to sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on expanded cooperation. The agreement is to cover enhanced collaboration between the two nations on education and sports, and expanded exchanges on Austronesian cultural research, language teacher training and volunteer dispatching, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. Bejang is also to meet with Marshallese students, as well as visit Ming Chuan University, the National Center for Traditional Arts and the National Human Rights Museum, the ministry said. The visit is Bejang’s first to Taiwan since he assumed his post in January as part of a new government.
LEISURE
Swim event expanded
The Sun Moon Lake Swimming Carnival in September is to accept 25,000 participants in groups of at least five this year, the Puli Four-Season Swimming Association, which organizes the event, said yesterday. As registration for last year’s event filled up in three days, the association has increased the participation cap to 25,000, it said, adding that 24,636 swan in last year’s event. Registrations open next month, it said. The Sept. 15 event is scheduled for two days before Mid-Autumn Festival, the Nantou County Government said. As Mid-Autumn Festival is on a Tuesday this year and the day before is a regular work day, the Sunday event should not interfere with holiday travel, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as