An open-source traditional Mandarin large language model (LLM) localized for Taiwan was released yesterday, achieving higher scores in the Taiwanese bar exam than GPT-4o.
The project, called Taiwan Mixture of Experts (TAME), was initiated by Chang Chun Group, Pegatron, Unimicron, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, TechOrange and National Taiwan University.
Using Nvidia’s Taipei-1 supercomputer in Kaohsiung, it was trained on nearly 500 billion tokens of data provided by the partners in their specialized fields.
Photo: Reuters
On its first attempt taking last year’s bar exam, Project TAME did better than 89 percent of test takers, LegalSign.ai chief executive officer Steven Chen (陳啟桐) said.
After only a few months, it has already received outstanding marks when taking exams for university students, legal professionals, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners, tour guides and drivers, Project TAME said.
Out of 39 evaluations and nearly 3,000 questions, Project TAME outperformed all other available models, with an accuracy rate 6.8 percent higher than the second-place Claude-Opus and 9.3 percent higher than GPT-4o.
The model is available to use for free online at https://twllm.com and would be open source, organizers said.
An interactive chatbot version for the public was created by AMPIC.
It is also available for download by enterprises and developers on Github.
The new LLM is the result of 350,000 GPU hours and 1,285 working hours by 31 engineers, Project TAME leader and Pegatron associate vice president of AI development Andrew Hsiao (蕭安助) said.
Its two specialties are localization for Taiwan and application for industry, he said.
It was only released today, but enterprises would be able to verify and fine-tune the model as time goes on to verify whether it is suitable for use in different fields, he added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as