Popular conveyor belt sushi chain Sushiro (壽司郎) on Thursday said that it would sue a patron who allegedly put a pet gecko on a soy dish, damaging the restaurant’s reputation.
An image uploaded by the customer to her Instagram account showed the pet riding the sushi conveyor belt amid morsels of food, sparking a frenzy in local media.
In response, Suhsiro on Monday said on Facebook that the restaurant’s image had been harmed by the negative publicity generated by the story and that the additional sanitation measures resulted in financial losses.
Photo: Screen grab from Dcard
It said in a statement on Thursday that although the customer has apologized for her behavior, the company nonetheless decided to sue to uphold its legal responsibility of upholding sanitation standards and consumer safety.
The customer is a student at Yuan Ze University in Taoyuan. The school on Monday issued a statement saying that the student is facing disciplinary action for breaching the school’s morality rules.
Leopard geckos can transmit a myriad of pathogens that cause food poisoning, including salmonella, E. coli and cryptosporidium, Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Tseng Shu-Hui (曾淑慧) said.
People who come into physical contact with a gecko must wash their hands before eating or touching their eyes, mouth or face to avoid infection, she said.
Citing the Canadian Ministry of Health, Tseng said a study published last month linked contact with geckos to salmonella outbreaks in seven regions.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also reported in 2015 that 20 gecko owners residing in 16 states had salmonella infections, including three who had to be hospitalized, she said.
People who are in contact with reptiles or amphibians are urged to pay close attention to personal hygiene, especially hand washing, Tseng said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as