Representative to the US Alexander Yui’s use of diplomatic funds to overhaul his official residence followed the law and regulations, and no irregularities have been found, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
The funds were spent to replace old furniture, appliances and supplies in the envoy’s official Washington residence, ministry spokesman Jeff Liu (劉永健) told reporters in Taipei.
The refurbishment was necessary because the office is often used to host official banquets and other important events that involve guests, Liu said.
Photo courtesy of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US
Liu would not disclose how much was spent on the project, saying he did not have specific details.
The Chinese-language Mirror Magazine yesterday reported that Yui spent about NT$8 million (US$246,586) to overhaul the residence since taking up the envoy post late last year.
Most of the money was spent on high-end sofas, beds and carpets, the magazine quoted a diplomatic source as saying.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the magazine that Yui used taxpayers’ money to buy luxurious items.
Yui had wanted to buy a Cadillac SUV worth more than NT$2 million as his official vehicle, the source said.
However, the ministry denied the request, as the existing envoy’s car was only purchased two years ago, the magazine reported.
Yui and his wife often used the official vehicle for personal reasons, and he had even asked the driver to take his family on private shopping trips, which angered many staff members in the representative office in Washington, the source said.
Liu said that the overhaul was necessary and that all purchases were made in accordance with the law.
Liu confirmed that Yui initially wanted to purchase a Cadillac as an official vehicle, but that the proposal was denied due to the existing car not reaching the required mileage and age needed to be replaced.
The ministry would look into other allegations raised in the media report, Liu added, without elaborating.
Earlier yesterday, Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) said that President William Lai (賴清德) had asked the Executive Yuan and the ministry to look into the allegations surrounding Yui and respond accordingly, also without elaborating.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍) told reporters on the sidelines of a Legislative Yuan meeting that there is no plan to ask Yui to return to Taiwan to explain the situation.
Lin said that he has asked Yui to file a written report explaining the spending, adding that he believes this would suffice.
So far, it appears that Yui has done everything by the book, Lin said.
However, the ministry might need to overhaul regulations relating to refurbishing overseas offices, he said.
Yui, a seasoned career diplomat, succeeded his predecessor, Vice President Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴), as the nation’s de facto ambassador to the US in December last year.
Hsiao left the post and returned to Taiwan last year to be Lai’s running mate for the presidential election in January.
Yui previously served as ambassador to Paraguay from 2015 to 2018, vice foreign minister from 2021 to last year and briefly as representative to the EU and Belgium.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and