At least eight Taiwanese retired military or police personnel have been detained in China in the past year, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said on Thursday, urging individuals with similar backgrounds to be cautious if they travel there.
Chinese authorities wanted to gather information about the individuals, specifically regarding their work, colleagues and networks, MAC deputy head and spokesperson Liang Wen-chieh (梁文傑) said.
Asked how long the eight people were held for, Liang replied: “The durations vary,” without elaborating.
Photo: Reuters
Such detentions could be an attempt to recruit individuals to work for the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), Liang said, citing cases prosecuted in the past few years involving retired military personnel working for the CCP.
“Seniors recruit juniors, superiors recruit subordinates and even former comrades introduce one another,” he added.
One of the recent espionage cases involving Taiwanese military personnel being recruited by the CCP centered around Liu Sheng-shu (劉聖恕), a retired air force colonel who served as a spy and used his connections within the military to recruit active navy and air force officers to engage in espionage.
In April last year, Liu and six officers were indicted for contravening the Classified National Security Information Protection Act (國家機密保護法), and later in the year, the High Court branch in Kaohsiung found six of the seven defendants, including Liu, guilty.
Liu was sentenced to 20 years in prison and his illegal gains paid by China were seized.
Meanwhile, two anglers surnamed Hu (胡) and Wu (吳) from Kinmen County were detained by Chinese authorities after they went astray while fishing and were picked up by the China Coast Guard on March 17.
Wu and his fishing boat were handed over to the Kinmen Coast Guard by Chinese officials on March 23, but Hu, an active soldier whose retirement had been approved on May 8, has not yet been released by the Chinese authorities.
Liang said the council has used several channels to communicate with the Chinese side in an attempt to expedite the return of Hu, but has received no response.
“This incident has now lasted for more than three months — no matter what needs to be investigated, it should not take longer than that,” Liang said, adding that the council is not clear on the reason for Hu’s continued detention.
He said that in the waters between Kinmen and the Chinese city of Xiamen, there has always been an understanding between the two sides regarding low-level incidents, such as anglers going astray.
“When we rescue their people, we send them back, and in the past, they did the same,” he said. “Why this incident is an exception is something we honestly cannot understand.”
The Chinese authorities have not classified the incident as immigration-related or said that Hu committed a crime, they have only confirmed he is being held due to his military background, he added.
China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokesman Chen Binhua (陳斌華) on March 22 said that Hu was being held because he “intentionally fabricated information about his occupation in an attempt to conceal it,” adding that the authorities needed to verify Hu’s identity to fully understand the situation.
On May 15, Chen said information related to the event “is still being verified.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as