Taiwan’s investments in countries included in the government’s New Southbound Policy (NSP) surged more than 90 percent in the first quarter of this year compared with the same period last year, the Executive Yuan’s Office of Trade Negotiations said on Saturday.
At a time when Taiwan has intensified its efforts to improve economic ties with countries included in the policy, investments made by Taiwanese investors to 80 projects in 18 countries reached about US$2.72 billion in the January-to-March period, up 92.1 percent from a year earlier, data from the office showed.
Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand were the recipients of most investment from Taiwan in the three-month period, the office said.
The NSP was launched by former president Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) government in 2016, targeting 18 countries in Southeast Asia, South Asia and Australasia to reduce economic dependence on China.
The 18 countries are the 10 ASEAN members — Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos — India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Australia and New Zealand.
In addition to investment, bilateral trade with the 18 countries in the first quarter hit US$42 billion, up 11.9 percent from a year earlier, the office said.
Exports to the 18 countries rose 28.6 percent to US$26.1 billion with imports from those countries down 7.7 percent to US$15.9 billion, the office said, adding that Taiwan recorded a US$10.2 billion trade surplus.
Bilateral trade of agricultural products with the NSP countries totaled US$1.5 billion, up 2.7 percent from a year earlier, while agricultural exports grew 11.7 percent from a year earlier to US$330 million, the office said.
Taiwanese investors won two bids for engineering projects launched in the first quarter in the NSP countries, which totaled NT$15 million (US$465,116).
Fifteen researchers, who are from the 18 countries or had studied there, came to Taiwan in the first quarter to conduct research, the office said.
In addition, 33,907 students from NSP countries arrived in Taiwan to pursue their studies, it said.
The Executive Yuan approved a plan to provide subsidies to overseas compatriot schools to hire 129 teachers, it added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as