Regulatory changes mean that telecoms are required to monitor people who send more than 50 text message a day and check the purpose of such activity, the National Communications Commission said this week.
The commission in June last year updated its Guidelines for Risk Management Mechanism for Telecom Businesses to Accept Telecommunications Services Application (電信事業受理申辦電信服務風險管理機制指引) as part of government efforts to deter telephone scams, in particular taking aim at the practice of acquiring multiple phone numbers, which makes tracking down fraudsters more difficult.
Changes to the guidelines require telecoms to get two forms of ID from people who apply for services.
Photo copied by Huang Liang-chieh, Taipei Times
This year, the commission promulgated the Management Measures for Telecommunication Service User Numbers (電信事業用戶號碼使用管理辦法) to ensure that telecoms properly manage the phone numbers they control.
The commission recently revised the regulations to reinforce rules for text messages.
Scammers often send a lot of text messages that contain suspicious links, the commission said.
People who open the links could unknowingly have malware installed on their device that turns them into a hub that sends more scam messages, it said.
The new rules require telecoms to adopt risk management measures for non-commercial short message services (SMS).
If the number of short messages sent by a regular user exceeds reasonable expectations, telecoms should activate the mechanism to immediately restrict access to SMS functions, the rules say.
Telecoms estimate that people send at most 50 messages per day, so the guidelines make that a reference by which telecoms can determine when to scrutinize activity, they say.
However, there is some leniency in the rules.
If a “whitelist customer” — whose access to telecom services has never been restricted by judicial authorities — sends more than 50 text messages a day, a telecom can slightly increase the cap for them, after assessing the risk, the rules say.
However, for those who exceed the cap and have faced judicial penalties, telecoms should inquire about the purpose of sending a lot of text messages and review the information, they say.
Telecoms should determine whether the user’s device has been hijacked to forward scam messages, they say.
Telecoms can turn off SMS functions if they detect abnormal or illegal activity, the commission said, adding that operators must update their contracts to explain the SMS limits.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as