There has been a significant generational difference in those who travel to China among Taiwanese over the past 16 years, with younger travelers less likely to visit the country, a breakdown of national travel statistics showed.
Since direct aviation links were opened across the Taiwan Strait in 2008, Taiwanese visited China 38.15 million times as of the end of last year, making it the second-most popular outbound destination for locals after Japan (39.55 million visits), the Tourism Administration said.
People aged 50 to 59 visited China the most, with 9.42 million visits, followed by people aged 40 to 49 with 9.35 million visits.
Photo: EPA-EFE
On the other hand, younger travelers, aged 20 to 29, accounted for 2.9 million visits.
By comparison, people aged 20 to 29 visited Japan 6.55 million times during the same period, or 125 percent more than the visits to China, statistics showed.
High Quality of Travel Association public relations representative Ringo Lee (李奇嶽) said he observed that older generations are more likely to visit China for leisure travel compared with younger Taiwanese.
Part of the reason was the nature of Chinese travel, which emphasizes scenic beauty and history, he said.
“[Younger people] prefer lively, popular, glamorous and shopping-oriented experiences, enjoying food and buying things. They don’t visit temples,” he said.
Young people might think traveling to China is not cool, said Huang Cheng-tsung (黃正聰), an associate professor at Providence University’s Department of Tourism.
“If young people take photos in China and share them, they might not receive positive feedback,” he said.
Cultural affinity also affected people’s choice of destination, Lee and Huang said.
Older generations have a greater understanding of China due to the education they received, resulting in higher interest in the country, they said.
Politics has also factored into travel decisions and perhaps made younger people more reluctant to travel to China over the past few years, Lee said.
After President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) took office, the number of people traveling to China continued to rise, reaching a peak of 4.17 million in 2018.
However, that number began to decline in 2019, particularly in July and August, coinciding with the massive protests in Hong Kong.
Travel to China took a massive hit because of the COVID-19 pandemic and has been extremely slow to rebound, largely because of Taiwan’s continuous ban on group travel to China, Lee said.
When China’s border reopened last year, Taiwanese visited the country 1.76 million times, compared with more than 4 million visits a year before the pandemic, data showed.
Taiwan initially planned to resume organized tours to China in August last year, but later postponed it to February as cross-strait tensions persisted.
However, Beijing had not agreed to allow its tour groups to visit Taiwan, and the government decided once again to ban local tour groups from visiting China in the name of reciprocity.
As a result, while tours scheduled between March 1 and May 31 were able to proceed, those scheduled for after June 1 were canceled.
The policy change was regrettable, Lee said, citing high booking demand, particularly for tours to Xinjiang Province and Inner Mongolia in China.
“Of course, we hope that tourism exchanges between the two sides can be restored as soon as possible,” Lee said, adding that cross-strait tourism accounts for about 40 percent for Taiwan’s aviation and travel sector.
Huang said that even if cross-strait tourism completely reopened, Taiwanese visits to China might only reach about 80 percent of pre-pandemic levels due to political factors.
“China’s stance toward Taiwan has been quite firm in recent years,” Huang said. “Many people may not feel comfortable with this.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as