Ten properties worth more than NT$200 million (US$6.21 million) in total that were taken from political prisoners during Taiwan’s White Terror era have been returned to the families of the victims over the past year, a foundation said yesterday.
The White Terror era refers to the suppression of political dissidents following the 228 Incident, an uprising that began on Feb. 28, 1947, which was brutally suppressed by the then-Chinese Nationalist Pary (KMT) regime. The government subsequently imposed martial law, which was lifted on July 15, 1987.
Yesterday was Taiwan’s first White Terror Memorial Day. Outgoing Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) last month announced that it would be observed annually on May 19.
Photo: Chen Yi-shan, Taipei Times
“The return of confiscated property to the families of political prisoners is an important step toward the restoration of rights,” Restoration of Victim’s Rights Infringed by Illegal Acts of the State During the Period of Authoritarian Rule Foundation chairperson Chang Wen-chen (張文貞) said.
Confiscated buildings and land still registered as state property would be returned to victims’ families whenever legally possible, such as when the properties become vacant or are being rented, she said, adding that in many cases the original owners of the properties were unjustly killed or imprisoned.
The foundation was set up by the Executive Yuan in line with the Act to Restore Victims’ Rights Infringed by Illegal Acts of the State During the Period of Authoritarian Rule (威權統治時期國家不法行為被害者權利回復條例).
Since September last year, when the foundation was established, it has returned 10 properties, Chang said.
Political prisoners who had their property taken during the Martial Law era were often charged with crimes under the now-repealed Punishment of Rebellion Act (懲治叛亂條例), she said.
Article 8 of the Punishment of Rebellion Act stipulated that anyone found guilty of crimes described in it would have their property confiscated, excluding what was necessary to cover the living expenses of that person’s dependent family members.
One property that was returned to a victim’s victim’s spouse and children over the past year was a building in Kaohsiung that was being rented out by the government, Chang said.
The family’s original ownership of the property was confirmed, and the Ministry of the Interior authorized the transfer, she said.
“There was also a really special case of a political prisoner who is still alive and was able to have his property returned to him,” she said. “The man was very young when he was arrested and his property was taken from him. Now he is in 80s.”
Foundation CEO Sun Pin (孫斌) said that during the Martial Law era, confiscated properties would change hands within the government.
After the state confiscated the property it would first be registered to the Taiwan Garrison Command, he said, adding that if the Taiwan Garrison Command did not want to use the property, it would be transferred to the National Property Administration or local government.
In one case, involving writer, human rights activist and former political prisoner Bo Yang (柏楊), books rather than real-estate were confiscated, but were lost, Sun said.
The foundation gave Bo’s family NT$6,000 for the books, he said.
“Although only books were confiscated from Bo Yang, the case has special symbolic significance. The family members believed that everything the country took from Bo should be returned,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as