Five people, including the head of a construction project, were indicted last week over the partial collapse of a residential building in the Dazhi (大直) area of Taipei’s Zhongshan District (中山) last year.
On Sept. 7 last year, underground excavation work at a Kee Tai Properties Co (基泰建設) construction site caused a neighboring building to sink into the ground and six others to lean to one side. The incident resulted in the evacuation and resettlement of hundreds of people from the buildings.
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chiu Cheng-hung (邱丞鴻), Chang Po-hsiang (張博翔), Wang Te-sheng (王德生), Chiang Jo-yen (姜若彥) and Liu Feng-shou (劉豐壽), who they said contravened several construction rules while working on the project, including intentionally reducing the thickness of the foundation’s diaphragm wall by 10cm to 50cm, even though the building’s structural drawings clearly showed that it should be 60cm.
Photo: Taipei Times
Chiu, who was in charge of the Dazhi project, and Chang, the construction site’s supervisor, decided to reduce the wall’s thickness during a work meeting on Sept. 30, 2022, prosecutors said.
The men knew that the diaphragm walls, which are reinforced concrete structures built in the ground to support deep excavation, should have been 60cm thick according to the blueprints, but told their subcontractors to go with 50cm, they said.
Chiu and Chang also did not follow the sequence in which the foundation work should have been carried out in an attempt to avoid further construction delays, they said.
The Dazhi project had already damaged nearby homes in April last year, they said.
At that time, Chiu and Chang hired a third party firm to provide weekly monitoring reports, which they altered to make it appear as if everything was in order, prosecutors said.
The reports included soil and geology readings related to surface settlement, building settlement and building incline, some of which exceeded the warning limit shown in a report on Sept. 1 last year, but the men still ordered workers to proceed as usual after excavation work began on Aug. 1, they said.
The pair should have heeded the warning limits and taken action to prevent conditions from worsening, but instead Chiu and Chang continued with the excavation to accelerate the construction work, they said.
Meanwhile, Liu, a technician who worked for a contractor at the site, signed off on a report prepared by Chang in March last year regarding progress on the diaphragm wall, although he never actually inspected the wall, prosecutors said.
When the Taipei City Government received a complaint about the April incident, it ordered Kee Tai and Wang, the project’s supervising architect, to send people to the site to ascertain the situation, they said.
However, Wang never visited the site nor did he send any of his staff, although Chang still asked him to sign off on a preliminary liability report related to the damage caused in the incident, they said.
On June 21 last year, neither Wang nor any of his people showed up to conduct an inspection, instead asking Chiang, a Kee Tai employee, to sign off on a report on his behalf.
The suspects’ actions ultimately contributed to the incident in September last year, prosecutors said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as