Former Czech Republic-based Taiwanese researcher Cheng Yu-chin (鄭宇欽) has been sentenced to seven years in prison on espionage-related charges, China’s Ministry of State Security announced yesterday.
China said Cheng was a spy for Taiwan who “masqueraded as a professor” and that he was previously an assistant to former Cabinet secretary-general Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰). President-elect William Lai (賴清德) on Wednesday last week announced Cho would be his premier when Lai is inaugurated next month.
Today is China’s “National Security Education Day.” The Chinese ministry yesterday released a video online showing arrests over the past 10 years of people alleged to be spies, adding that the video aimed to “build a strong anti-espionage consciousness among the Chinese public, leaving spies nowhere to hide.”
Photo: Screen grab from China Central Television
Among cases highlighted in the video were the arrests of Cheng, US-based Chinese overseas community representative John Shing-Wan Leung (梁成運), former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and Canadian businessman Michael Spavor.
It said that Leung, who was mentioned in detail in the video, was recruited by the US as an informant.
The video also said that Leung worked in many overseas Chinese associations under the command of various US agencies and made many charitable donations to China, creating an image of being a “patriotic philanthropist.”
It said that Leung had obtained intelligence from Chinese institutions and personnel in the US through spying, surveillance and theft. Leung also arranged hotel rooms equipped with surveillance equipment for people visiting the US from China, and used sex acts to coerce and incite visiting Chinese personnel, it added.
Cheng, who was also discussed at length in the video, was arrested when he entered China in April 2019, it said. The video said that he had met with Taiwanese national security officials while he was a PhD student at Charles University in Prague, and gave them intelligence-related research reports.
The video also said that after returning to Taiwan from the Czech Republic, Cheng was recruited by the National Security Bureau to go to China to collect intelligence and identify Chinese officials who “could instigate a rebellion,” it said.
It also said that the political and economic research center in the Czech Republic which Cheng was director of was established Taiwan’s Military Intelligence Bureau at Cheng’s suggestion.
“The title of director allowed me to participate in more meetings of international organizations,” Cheng was shown saying in the video.
The ministry said Cheng used this title and his status as a professor at Charles University to participate in international conferences to collect information about the “views of relevant countries on major issues” related to China, adding that Cheng also used conferences as a means to establish contacts with Chinese scholars to obtain intelligence.
It said that Cheng had been paid NT$2.76 million (US$85,467) by the Taiwanese government for these services.
Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has previously denied China’s claims about Cheng, saying in October 2020 that he is not a professor at Charles University. Cho at the time also said that he did not know Cheng, and that claims of Cheng being his assistant were untrue.
While the Mainland Affairs Council yesterday did not comment on the video released by China, Taiwan Thinktank researcher Wu Se-chih (吳瑟致) said China’s claims about Cho in the video were aimed at sowing distrust in Lai’s government ahead of his inauguration.
Beijing was also attempting to scare Taiwanese academics and the Democratic Progressive Party government by dredging up old espionage cases, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as