Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Vice Chairman Andrew Hsia (夏立言) on Thursday thanked US lawmakers for their support of Taiwan, adding that the KMT would strive to improve inter-parliamentary exchanges as the majority party in the legislature.
Hsia, currently visiting the US, made the remark during a meeting with US representatives Mario Diaz-Balart, chair of the Congressional Taiwan Caucus, and Ro Khanna, a member of the House Armed Services committee, KMT assistant director of international affairs Howard Shen (沈正浩) said.
The KMT vice chairman told the two lawmakers that his party’s foreign policy is to show an affinity toward the US, pursue friendship with Japan and make peace with China, Shen said.
Photo courtesy of the KMT
Hsia also discussed the KMT’s stance on US-Taiwan relations, cross-strait relations and Legislative Yuan reform with the staff of several US senators on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, and extended an invitation for them to visit their KMT counterparts, Shen added.
He traveled to the US to see old friends, exchange views about the KMT’s future with academics and think tanks, and explain the KMT’s national defense policy to the US, Hsia told reporters in Washington on Friday.
He also made it clear to the US that the KMT supports Taiwan increasing its defense budget and purchasing arms, and that comments by its members at the legislature should not be interpreted as opposition to efforts toward strengthening Taiwan’s defensive capabilities, Hsia added.
However, in addition to strengthening Taiwan’s defenses, the two sides of the Taiwan Strait must also have channels for dialogue and communication, he said, citing the meeting between former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) in Beijing as a good example.
The KMT has always supported the promotion of dialogue and communication that are conducive to cross-strait stability and peace, Hsia said, adding that Ma’s visit to China is a plus for the KMT.
Hsia said he is to visit Shaoxing City in China’s Zhejiang Province later this month to participate in cultural activities to honor Xia Yu, also known as Yu the Great, the founder of the Xia Dynasty.
The organizers have invited him to the annual event for the past three years, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it could only be held remotely, he said.
Hsia has been on back-to-back visits to China in February and last month, earning media criticism for the frequency of his trips.
His visits were to serve Taiwanese entrepreneurs there, as there are about 150 Taiwanese trade associations in China, and attend cultural events to which he was specifically invited, Hsia said in response.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and