Low and medium Earth orbit satellites have been used by the government for the first time to help rescue workers after last week’s large earthquake centered in Hualien County, the Ministry of Digital Affairs said yesterday.
The ministry dispatched to Hualien a truck equipped with equipment to link to low and medium Earth orbit satellites, as well as three OneWeb low Earth orbit satellites, to facilitate mobile communications among rescuers and residents, Minister of Digital Affairs Audrey Tang (唐鳳) said.
“Low Earth orbit satellites allowed residents in Hualien to access Wi-Fi services,” Tang said. “Even though OneWeb’s signal is yet to cover the disaster-stricken area, test results showed that the connections were better than what we had anticipated.”
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
OneWeb’s ground station in Guam has begun operations, she said, adding that ground stations in Japan and Thailand are scheduled to begin operating in the first half of this year.
Specialists from the ministry’s Telecom Technology Center said that the biggest breakthrough was combining the use of low and medium Earth orbit satellites to facilitate communications in the zones most badly affected by the earthquake, which measured 7.2 on the Richter scale.
The Tiansiang (天祥) Recreational Area in Taroko National Park is in a valley, so satellite connectivity there is sometimes blocked by mountains, the specialists said.
However, combining the two satellite systems allows multiple lines of sight, enabling adjustments when topography poses a challenge, they said.
The cost to build the satellite truck was about NT$8 million (US$249,844), while terminal equipment for the three low Earth orbit satellites cost NT$2.6 million, the ministry said.
Deputy Minister of Digital Affairs Herming Chiueh (闕河鳴) said that the ministry is seeking additional funding to upgrade some of the 105 mobile service trucks owned by telecoms to enable connectivity via non-geosynchronous satellites.
In other news, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said that there are still 36 mobile phone base stations yet to be repaired following damage they sustained during the earthquake, with 10 operated by Chunghwa Telecom, 15 by Taiwan Mobile and 11 by Far EasTone Telecommunications.
Nearly all of the damaged base stations are between Tiansiang and the Tunnel of Nine Turns (九曲洞) in Taroko, the commission said, adding that those west of Tiansiang have all been fixed.
“Base stations are not functioning because of power outages and that cannot be fixed if the roads to the facilities are inaccessible,” NCC Vice Chairman and spokesman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as