The number of Hong Kongers obtaining permanent residency in Taiwan rose 10.5 percent from 2022 to last year, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said.
Last year, 1,432 Hong Kongers obtained permanent residency in Taiwan, up from 1,296 in 2022, the council said in a recent report to the Legislative Yuan, after opposition lawmakers questioned whether the government had made the process more difficult by raising the threshold for Hong Kongers to obtain residency.
Residency applications under general immigration or humanitarian reasons are separate mechanisms that are handled independently, the council said, adding that the government is continuing to implement the Hong Kong Humanitarian Aid Project.
Photo: Reuters
The government welcomes talented people from Hong Kong and Macau who can contribute to the country’s development to apply through general immigration, it said.
Authorities have reported many applicants that contravened immigration laws and regulations, such as those applying for immigration as an investor without investing, applying as a professional worker without using their reported expertise or applying for family-based residency without family sponsors, it said.
Some fraudulent immigration applications have also been discovered, against which the government would take corrective measures, it said.
Applicants who meet the residency requirements stipulated in the Regulations Governing Permits for Hong Kong and Macau Residents Entering the Taiwan Area and Setting Up Residence or Registered Permanent Residence in the Republic of China (香港澳門居民進入台灣地區及居留定居許可辦法) and are deemed to pose no national security risk would be granted residency, the MAC said.
If applications raise concerns or the documents submitted are incomplete, authorities would give the applicants six months to one year to submit additional information or documents, it said.
The cases would be provided with a notice that clearly states the information or documents that should be supplemented, it said, adding that authorities would respond to any further inquiries from applicants.
Providing a grace period for applicants is an approach based on humanity and goodwill, rather than an attempt to delay the review process, the MAC said.
The council is striving to coordinate agencies on establishing review criteria and protocols for handling residency applications from Hong Kongers and Macanese, it said.
In the past year, many Hong Kongers have spoken positively about the government’s assistance in their resettlement, it said.
Some YouTubers who recently moved from Hong Kong made videos to help people better understand the government’s stance and practices, the MAC said.
The political situation in Hong Kong has changed dramatically in the past few years, which also affects its population, at least one-fifth of which is originally from mainland China, it said.
The government would review residency applications cautiously to ensure national security and long-term social stability, it said.
The council would continue assisting agencies with residency application reviews as well as with bridging the gap between the cultures of Taiwan and Hong Kong to help Hong Kongers residing in Taiwan better adapt to their lives in the nation as soon as possible, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy