Thirteen private high schools and vocational high schools on the Ministry of Education’s “Extraordinary Assistance List” could close next year if they fail to resolve their troubled operations, affecting about 2,503 students and 331 staff.
The schools have until May next year to improve operations or be forced to close before Aug. 1 that year, K-12 Education Administration manager Huang Ching-yi (黃黃儀) said.
Long Der Commercial and Household Vocational High School dean Hsu Yung-fang (徐詠芳) said it is the only vocational school south of the Jhonggang River (中港溪) in Miaoli County, adding that it has been seeking to establish courses for immigrants and has already filed to be removed from the list.
Photo: Rachel Lin, Taipei Times
Hung Jen Catholic Girls’ High School dean Hsu Yao-wen (許耀文) said the board of the Chiayi County school had approved an injection of NT$80 million (US$2.5 million).
It has shifted toward a focus on robotics in the past few years, Hsu said, adding that after the K-12 Educational Administration’s second visit next month, it would remove the school from the list.
Kung Tung St Joseph Technical Senior High School dean Lee Jung-kung (李榮恭) said the Taitung County school had been placed on the list due to a financial setback.
Lee said he was confident the school would overcome the financial issue as it is in the process of liquidating real-estate assets.
Former K-12 Education Administration director Wu Ching-shan (吳清山) yesterday said the effects of a declining birthrate are spreading from universities to high schools, adding that this was an urgent matter that president-elect William Lai (賴清德) must address after taking office in May.
While the issue poses a challenge, it is also an opportunity to fine-tune the nation’s education policies and launch a comprehensive reassessment of schools and local needs, Wu said.
He said that special subsidies could help local government keep one to three private vocational schools to help students in their communities.
National Federation of Teachers’ Unions president Hou Chun-liang (侯俊良) said the school closures show that education policies, such as allowing the establishment of multiple high schools and colleges in an area, require review.
Action Alliance on Basic Education chairman Wang Han-yang (王瀚陽) urged Lai to review the number of schools in the nation and assess local needs, adding that the government should not sit by and watch as private schools close.
Government intervention is necessary if the closure of schools would affect students and require them to commute to continue their studies, National Parent Education Volunteer Association president Hsu Chu-lung (徐巨龍) said.
Additional reporting by Peng Chien-li, Wang Shan-yen, and Huang Ming-tang
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with