Former President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday said that he hoped President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would reconsider her decision to not visit Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島) before her term ends.
Taiping, the largest of the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), lies 1,600km southwest of Kaohsiung, and is administered by the city’s Cijin District (旗津). It hosts about 200 coast guard personnel trained by the Marine Corps, and is also claimed by China, the Philippines and Vietnam.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers have called on Tsai to visit the island to reaffirm Taiwan’s sovereignty, following the completion of a dredging project to allow larger vessels to dock.
Photo: Reuters
The National Security Bureau has advised Tsai not to visit the island due to difficulties in maintaining the security of the head of state during the visit, amid rising geopolitical conflicts in the South China Sea.
In a Facebook post yesterday, Ma said he disagreed with the assessment, adding that flight safety and security concerns had already existed when he and former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) visited the island.
“If former president Chen and I could handle these issues, so can President Tsai. It is not a technical issue that cannot be resolved,” Ma wrote.
He visited the island about four months before his second term ended in 2016, despite opposition from Taiwan’s allies, as he was determined to visit to declare Taiwan’s sovereignty over the island and deliver the South China Sea Peace Initiative (南海和平倡議), he said, adding that the move contributed to regional peace.
“I have done my part in advising the president and would respect her decision. However, from the perspective of national interests, it is crucial that the president personally inspects Taiping Island to show our clear position on Taiwan’s sovereignty over the island, and to boost the morale of the general public as well as the troops stationed on the island,” Ma said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and