An international consortium headed by Jeffrey Koo Jr (辜仲諒), who owns CTBC Brothers baseball club, was yesterday reported to be planning to purchase the Taipei Dome (台北大巨蛋) by putting together a deal worth NT$60 billion (US$1.9 billion).
Media reports said that firms and businesspeople that might join the consortium include South Korean-Japanese billionaire Masayoshi Son (孫正義), founder and CEO of Japanese investment and e-commerce giant Softbank Group; the Chearavanont family, owners of Thailand-based Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group; and Taiwanese pop star Jay Chou (周杰倫).
The consortium reportedly aims to buy the operating rights of the Taipei Dome complex, belonging to Farglory Group (遠雄集團), which signed a build-operate-transfer (BOT) agreement with Taipei City Government in 2012 and completed it in May last year, after years of delays due to safety concerns, legal challenges and other issues.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
The NT$37 billion stadium is planned to be mainly used for baseball, but it can also host soccer, softball and other competitive games, along with concerts and large-scale shows. With its 40,000 seating capacity, the Taipei Dome is the nation’s largest indoor sports venue.
The consortium members are reportedly eyeing the entire Taipei Dome complex — of which operation rights until 2060 are held by Farglory Group — and have potential commercial deals in mind. In addition to the indoor venue, the complex includes a shopping mall, a hotel, office spaces, restaurants, boutique shops, a movie theater and an underground parking lot, which are still under construction.
“It is true that since we have started operating the Taipei Dome, many companies and groups have contacted us... But we have no plans to sell it or to transfer business rights,” Farglory Group general manager Jacky Yang (楊舜欽) said yesterday.
“We still have the BOT agreement made with the Taipei City Government, so we are following it and offering the best service for citizens and sports fans,” Yang said.
A Taipei City Sports Department official said that the city government would respect Farglory Group’s decision.
Meanwhile, local media quoted a friend of Koo’s as saying “there is no concrete plans regarding a business deal on the Taipei Dome.”
However, Mirror Media yesterday reported that Koo told his close circle that a consortium — including him with a 50 percent stake, along with Softbank Group and CP Group with 20 percent each, other Taiwanese firms with about 10 percent and Jay Chou with 1 percent stakes — is preparing to buy the venue.
Koo is the owner of the Brothers, one of the six clubs in the CPBL, and head of national baseball association the CTBA. He also became president of the Baseball Federation of Asia in 2022
Sports pundits said that Koo has for a long time been planning to move the Brothers to the Taipei Dome from their current venue in Taichung.
They said that the interest in the Taipei Dome is high from clubs including the Wei Chuan Dragons and the Fubon Guardians.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as