The Cabinet on Friday gave the green light for the Taoyuan Metro Brown Line project, which aims to connect northern Taoyuan with New Taipei City and Taipei, to commence.
In a Facebook post on Friday, Vice Premier Cheng Wen-tsan (鄭文燦) announced that Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) had approved the feasibility study and comprehensive planning report for the project.
The line is to connect Taiwan Railway Corp’s Taoyuan Station with Taipei Metro’s Huilong Station.
Photo courtesy of the Taoyuan City Government
Cheng added that the project is to connect to Taipei’s Zhonghe-Xinlu Line, as well as two under-construction routes — Taipei’s Wanda-Zhonghe-Shulin Line and the Taoyuan Green Line.
When the project was first passed by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications in December last year, the Taoyuan Department of Rapid Transit Systems announced that it aims to complete construction of the line within eight years of Cabinet approval.
On Facebook, Cheng said he has wanted to see the project green-lit for nine years, from back when he was Taoyuan mayor.
Cheng added that the project budget was NT$45.65 billion (US$1.44 billion).
Cheng said NT$8.12 billion of the budget would go to upgrading light rail hardware so it can handle a high volume of passengers, and NT$11.18 billion would be spent on constructing the line underground.
The central government is to shoulder NT$23.84 billion of the cost and local governments are to pay NT$21.81 billion.
In related news, the ministry on Friday also approved the extension of New Taipei City’s Sanying Line.
The main route of the metropolitan railway line is currently under construction, and the extension is to add three stops to link New Taipei City with Taoyuan.
New Taipei City’s Department of Rapid Transit Systems said the three stops on the 4km line would connect New Taipei’s Sanying Line with the Taoyuan Green Line.
Department Director Lee Cheng-an (李政安) said the project is to be forwarded to the Cabinet for further approval.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated