People using Taipei’s YouBike rental service will not be charged for the first 30 minutes of rides from today, Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) said yesterday.
The move to make the first half an hour of each ride free is to help achieve the Taipei City Government’s goals of reducing carbon emissions by 40 percent by 2030 and increasing the proportion of journeys taken with green transportation to 70 percent, Chiang said.
The Taipei Department of Transportation said that the number of YouBike stations would be expanded to 2,000 by 2026 from 1,338 today, and the number of bikes would be increased to 27,500 from 16,562.
Photo: CNA
However, the time between returning a YouBike and taking another would be increased to 10 minutes from five, it said.
As the first 30 minutes will be free, the city will no longer offer discounts for people who transfer to a public bus or the MRT, it added.
About 90 percent of YouBike trips last less than 30 minutes, the department said, adding that 52 percent do not involve a transfer to other public transportation, indicating that YouBike use in Taipei is primarily for short trips.
For rides that last longer than 30 minutes — which until today cost NT$10 — the fees will remain the same, it said.
After the initial free period, riders will be charged NT$10 for every 30 minutes up to the four-hour mark, NT$20 for every 30 minutes between the fourth and eighth hour, and NT$40 per half hour after the eighth hour of use, it said.
The department said it estimates a 15 percent increase in rentals, or 27 million journeys per year that will benefit from the free 30 minute rentals.
Asked about concerns that bikes would be harder to find due to the free 30-minute rule, the department said that 1,780 bikes were added to the network in May last year and 1,500 were added in December last year.
Moreover, data analysis was being used to optimize the YouBike system, it added.
Two-thousand additional bikes have been added this month and there are plans to increase the total number of bikes in the network by about 6,000 by the end of this year, which will help address shortage issues, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and