Suspending group tours to China was a political decision made by national security officials, rather than by Tourism Administration officials, tourism industry representatives said at a news conference organized by the National Policy Foundation.
“The group tour ban was imposed out of political considerations and it is useless to talk about the legal basis for such a decision,” Travel Association of Chinese chairman Hsu Chin-ruey (許晉睿) said. “Tour operators only consider demand and goodwill, and whether Taiwan and China are on equal terms has never been an issue for them.”
Many Taiwanese have visited the US, but the government has never required the same number of Americans to visit Taiwan, Hsu said.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
Banning group tours to China is a political decision, and the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) wants the public to focus on statements made by the Tourism Administration, but the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has authority regarding cross-strait affairs, he said.
“Our interactions with officials of the Tourism Administration over the years have shown us that the agency in general respects and supports tourism operators. A day before the agency made the announcement to stop tours, I was even talking to some of them about details on resuming group tours on March 1,” Hsu said. “This shows it was the MAC officials, not the Tourism Administration, that decided to stop the tours.”
It requires effort from lawmakers and tour operators to ensure that Taiwanese travel agents can legally host tours to China, he said.
Chinese Business Association of World Culture and Travel’s vice president in Taiwan, Hsu Chuan-ping (許傳萍), said the government should tell her what the national interests really mean.
She is planning to protest on Ketagalan Boulevard on May 20 and host an international news conference saying the government is suppressing the development of the tourism industry.
Former KMT legislator Arthur Chen (陳宜民) said the government had earlier claimed the tourism industry would recover last year and it vowed to draw 6 million international visitors, of which 1 million would be from China.
Tourism Administration data showed while the nation last year attracted about 6.48 million international visitors, more than 11.79 million Taiwanese traveled overseas.
Of the international visitors, only 190,000 were from China, Chen said.
“The government has restricted exchanges between Taiwanese and Chinese by denying entry of Chinese business travelers into Taiwan and only allowing some Chinese arriving for healthcare,” Chen said. “Taiwanese are allowed to travel to China individually, but not allowed to join group tours. What happens is that these travelers form groups after arriving in China.”
KMT Legislator Weng Hsiao-ling (翁曉玲) said that the Tourism Administration previously banned group tours to China due to the implementation of the Special Act for Prevention, Relief and Revitalization Measures for Severe Pneumonia with Novel Pathogens, which was abolished last year following a significant decline of COVID-19 cases.
Everything should have returned to normal when the restrictive measures were lifted, and the Act for the Development of Tourism (觀光發展條例) does not ban travel agents from organizing group tours, Weng said.
Tourism officials, along with those from MAC and the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, simply used an administrative order to restrict people’s right to travel and form group tours, which lacks legal backing and risks contravening the principle of legal reservation, Weng said.
“The Tourism Administration has frequently cited Article 53 of the Act for the Development of Tourism as the legal basis to impose a ban on group tours to China. However, the article applies to the groups that have visited China and were found to have engaged in behaviors that tarnish Taiwan’s national dignity,” Weng said.
“How can the administration presume that these tour groups would engage in illegal behavior if they have not arrived there yet?” she asked.
“If forming tour groups to China could compromise national interests, then should we not ban direct navigation and aviation services across the Taiwan Strait?” Weng asked.
The MAC can only restrict people from traveling to China through the approval of the Executive Yuan and the legislature, a procedure that it clearly did not follow, she said.
Weng said the MAC and the Tourism Administration abused their administrative power and caused substantial damage to tour operators, adding they are entitled to seeking compensation from the government.
The Control Yuan should investigate the MAC, the ministry and the Tourism Administration for administrative irregularities, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as