Vietnamese officials yesterday visited Phu Quoc Island to handle a dispute between a Taiwanese and a Vietnamese tour operator over outstanding accounts.
The Kien Giang Province Department of Tourism said it would send a task force to study the contracts between Taiwan’s Mega International Travel Service (美加國際旅行社) and the Vietnamese firm, Vietnam’s Thanh Nien newspaper reported.
Mega on Friday and Saturday last week sent nearly 800 tourists to the island for a five-day tour, who were then entrusted to local Vietnamese tour operators.
Photo courtesy of Ziontour (Vietnam)
However, Vietnam WInnER International Travel Co on Saturday asked the 292 tourists under its care to pay US$720 each to continue, saying Mega had only paid one-10th of their tour fees.
Mega had also reportedly not yet paid Vietnam’s Bamboo Airways for the chartered return flights, raising concern that the tourists could become stranded on the island.
The travel agencies and airline reached an agreement to accommodate the travelers and fly them back to Taiwan, despite the outstanding payments.
Photo: Screengrab from Chen’s Facebook page
Yesterday, 613 of the tourists boarded three separate flights to return to Taiwan. The other 150 returned on Tuesday.
The director of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Ho Chi Minh City also went to the airport to see the travelers off.
The Tourism Administration earlier said it was working with the Travel Quality Assurance Association to investigate whether Mega had contravened the Regulations Governing Travel Agencies (旅行業管理規則) and its client contracts.
The association would also help handle customer disputes, it added.
Separately yesterday, another travel agency based in Da Nang, Vietnam, said that Mega is notorious for delaying payments.
The two companies have worked together for about 12 years, Ziontour Vietnam manager Phan Anh Tri said.
Over 2019 and 2020, Mega accumulated outstanding accounts totaling more than US$80,000, of which it has only paid US$10,000, he said, presenting a balance sheet.
Three other tour companies in Da Nang have had the same problem with Mega, with the Taiwanese company giving a down payment to ensure they accept the tour, then delaying full payment, he added.
Mega earlier this week rejected WInnER’s claims, saying that the two had agreed to clear payments on Feb. 26.
It also promised to cover all client losses stemming from the dispute.
In other news, Taiwanese Internet personality Chen Neng-chuang (陳能釧), also known as Wan An Hsiao Chi (晚安小雞), has been arrested and detained by Cambodian police yesterday on charges of spreading false information, Cambodian officials told the Central News Agency, adding that he was neither beaten nor robbed as he had claimed.
Chen on Monday claimed that he was broadcasting live in an industrial park near Cambodia’s Sihanoukville Port, which was reportedly the location where scammers sent Taiwanese to work after luring them with promising jobs and high salaries.
The broadcast appeared to have been interrupted by someone attacking him.
Chen went live on Facebook again on Tuesday evening, saying that he had been robbed of US$3,000.
As of yesterday, Chen had not posted any updates on the social media.
Preah Sihanouk Province Governor Kuoch Chamroeun on Tuesday posted a notice on Facebook asking people for help finding Chen.
Taiwan’s Criminal Investigation Bureau said that it respects the Cambodian police’s right to investigate, and its liaison officer stationed in Cambodia would maintain close contact with Taiwan’s representative office in Cambodia and Cambodian police.
Chen could face charges of inciting discrimination, providing false declaration or illegal interference in the performance of public functions, based on previous cases.
Chen’s previous questionable behaviors include filming in a hospital in Kinmen County without permission in 2012 and claiming that the hospital was haunted.
Additional reporting by Ting Yi
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as