The Supreme Court on Monday upheld a guilty verdict and prison sentence for the owner of an English school who was found to have abused a young boy attending its kindergarten and daycare center in 2014.
The Supreme Court said it turned down an appeal by the owner, a woman surnamed Lin (林), and upheld the High Court’s 28-month jail term issued in February last year.
The ruling is final and cannot be appealed.
Photo: Chang Wen-chuan, Taipei Times
A lower court convicted Lin and two others, surnamed Liu (劉) and Chin (金), of plunging the head of the boy, surnamed Liang (梁), into a bucket of water or a pond in which children played, causing him to choke, the Supreme Court said.
They also allegedly forced him to do split jumps if he could not hold a squatting position long enough, had him take his clothes off in winter and subjected him to a cold shower, and prohibited him from drinking water or going to the bathroom after drinking water, the court said.
Lin allegedly gave the child hot and sour soup that had gone bad or was too spicy, hit his body and head using a paddle shaped like a small hand, and made him do homework on his hands and knees, resulting in physical injuries, it said.
Although Liang tried to tell his mother about the abuse, she did not believe him because of the excuses Lin gave, the ruling said.
After seeing a news report about other kids being mistreated at the same school in November 2014, the child spoke out, it said.
That led Liang’s parents to file a criminal complaint against Lin, Liu and Chin with the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office.
Prosecutors charged Lin with child abuse, and the Taipei District Court sentenced her to three years and 10 months in jail, which she appealed.
The High Court reduced the sentence to 28 months on the grounds that Lin had agreed to pay the family compensation, although Lin and the family have not agreed on an amount.
The Taipei District Court gave Liu a six-month sentence, commutable to a fine, and Chin a six-month sentence, commutable to a fine and suspended for four years, and also required Chin to perform 90 hours of community service.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and