A recent amendment to the enforcement rules of the National Security Law has greatly expanded the boundary of “red lines” by allowing the Hong Kong government to freeze people’s assets on grounds of national security, a quarterly report by the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday.
Since May 2020, the report has been reviewing changes in Hong Kong as a special administrative region of the Chinese government as well as Taiwan’s progress in offering humanitarian aid and care for Hong Kongers.
Since China implemented the law on June 30, 2020, 285 Hong Kongers have been arrested on charges of threatening national security as of Dec. 8 last year, of whom 172 faced charges from prosecutors, the report said.
Photo: Reuters
Five Hong Kong companies were also indicted, it added.
An amendment to the enforcement rules of Article 43 in the Hong Kong National Security Law has vastly expanded the boundary of red lines by allowing the secretary for security, who is in charge of Hong Kong’s Security Bureau, to issue notices to freeze the assets of people who are involved in national security offenses, the report said. The requirement to observe the National Security Law was also added to the Guidelines Governing the Production of Programs and Advertisements on TV and Radio, it said.
The Hong Kong government had arrested four Hong Kongers, accusing them of using fundraising platforms to raise funds for wanted criminals who engage in activities that would endanger national security, the report said, adding that such a move has greatly limited the freedom to search for information on the Internet.
Hong Kong public libraries have taken books off the shelves that would remind people of theTiananmen Square Massacre on June 4, 1989, it added.
The loss of freedom in Hong Kong was also reflected in the significant decline in its freedom ranking in the Human Freedom Index (HFI) published by the US-based Cato Institute and Canada’s Fraser Institute in December last year, the report said.
Hong Kong’s overall ranking in the HFI dropped to 46th from 34th. Specifically, Hong Kong’s personal freedom fell to 82nd place from 62nd, while the region was ranked 146th out of 165 countries/regions in terms of freedom of assembly and association, the report said.
Interest rate hikes by the US Federal Reserve, geopolitical risks, Hong Kong’s heavy economic reliance on China and the implementation of the Hong Kong National Security Law also explained its lackluster economic performance last year, the report said.
A survey conducted by professional recruitment agency Robert Walters Hong Kong last year showed that 52.3 percent of respondents were considering or planning to leave Hong Kong, of which 15.6 percent said they wanted to leave Hong Kong as quickly as possible and 36.7 percent said they were considering leaving in three to five years.
Many news commentaries have attributed Hong Kong’s brain drain to a weak economy, decreasing freedom of speech and inadequate personal safety protections, the report said.
The implementation of the National Security Law has weakened Hong Kong’s electoral system, which in turn has eroded the autonomy of the Hong Kong government and judicial system, the report said, adding that many people are concerned about whether the region could make independent economic policy decisions again.
The report added that a new political order emerged in Hong Kong last year.
“Different from the customary practices in the past, Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee (李家超) last year reported his job performance in Hong Kong to Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), Chinese Premier Li Qiang (李強) as well as multiple high-ranking party leaders in Beijing, rather than to Xi and Li only,” the report said. “This shows that the Chinese Communist Party is to impose more aggressive control over Hong Kong, and we should watch closely whether this would further undermine China’s commitment to grant Hong Kong a high degree of autonomy.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as